• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tee Pee Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that as long as you have flames in your teepee fire the smoke is no problem but if the fire isnt burning correctly it can get bad inside there.
with a fire in the centre of my 18' the canvas never got hot. the teepee canvas was fire retardant which i would suspect all comercial teepees are made of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of building a fire in a tee-pee, I recall seeing instructions in a very old Boy Scout book that showed how to supply fresh air to the fire.

First, dig a circular hole 3"-6" deep, where the fire is going to be. Build up the area around the hole using the dirt that was dug out.
Next, dig a trench 4 to 6 inches wide and the same depth as the fire pit from the pit to a place outside the area that the tee-pee will cover.
Cover this trench with bark and put a little dirt on top of the bark to hold it in place. Leave the outside end of the trench open to the air.

By doing this, fresh air will be supplied to the fire thru the trench so, the amount of outside air that enters the tee-pee thru the doorway or from under the skirt will be greatly reduced. Doing this will keep the inside of the tee-pee considerably warmer than it would be if all of the fresh air supplying the fire comes in thru the door flap.

Do any of you tee-pee users, do this?
I've seen guys build the trench using pipe. I've also seen guys just put a stove in the tipi and put 2 or 3 sections of pipe on it aimed for the center flap. A stove is safer and easier to cook on than an open fire.

Speaking of building a fire in a tee-pee, I recall seeing instructions in a very old Boy Scout book that showed how to supply fresh air to the fire.

First, dig a circular hole 3"-6" deep, where the fire is going to be. Build up the area around the hole using the dirt that was dug out.
Next, dig a trench 4 to 6 inches wide and the same depth as the fire pit from the pit to a place outside the area that the tee-pee will cover.
Cover this trench with bark and put a little dirt on top of the bark to hold it in place. Leave the outside end of the trench open to the air.

By doing this, fresh air will be supplied to the fire thru the trench so, the amount of outside air that enters the tee-pee thru the doorway or from under the skirt will be greatly reduced. Doing this will keep the inside of the tee-pee considerably warmer than it would be if all of the fresh air supplying the fire comes in thru the door flap.

Do any of you tee-pee users, do this?
I used to do it with out covering the trench. Right beside the door. As it was cold air it stayed in the trench.
The ice age people of the Ukraine left huts that were made of bone. These seem to have that same trench.

Thanks for all your information and suggestions. One member contacted me and we met to set up a 16ft Lodge. It was a very valuable education. Turned out to be one of the winder days we have had in quite a while. As it turns out it would be impossible for my wife, daughter and I to set up one of these. We did provide and entertaining afternoon for the other club members present. Just after sun down we finally got it up and actually built a small fire in it, very cool. I am very grateful for the opportunity to make an informed decision and the opportunity to make a new friend.

Winds hard on setting up any tent.
A wall tent-miners cabin can give you a lot of room an a easy set. A small marquee is widely accepted from F&I to westren expansion

Had an 18' tipi from RKLodges . Well made . Could set it up myself but it was about the maximum size to set up solo . It is quite large inside for 2 people a 16' tipi is about right for 2 adults and 2 kids .

A 14' is easier to erect , heat and ok for 2 people . Wall tents are much warmer and overall just easier to deal with . You can't beat a tipi for sheer beauty though

LD no doubt that’s a good tent, I’ve been eying one my self, and you can use it from colonial to WTBS. You can’t do that with a tipi. Howsomever, in spite of the fact I’m usually in agreement with you, you just caint beat a TP. On this detail your wrong, in fact your what God had in mind when he invented the word wrong
...., A cold night, a warm lodge, stars peaking through the smoke flap... ummmm. Puts me in mind of Dan George, “I just might have to take up this Tipi living”.

Ya know I hear that a lot from Lodge owners (tipi guys). Maybe there is something to that....

I often hear that from them most often at breakfast on Sunday morning, in camp...,

I can't repeat what I hear Sunday afternoon from the Lodge Guys as my double-bell is fully packed up and I'm driving away, and the Lodge Guys are still wrestling with getting their Tipi's down, and packed up...., as the storm approaches....,

WHAAAAT ?

1606594759864.png

LD

Ya know I hear that a lot from Lodge owners (tipi guys). Maybe there is something to that....

I often hear that from them most often at breakfast on Sunday morning, in camp...,

I can't repeat what I hear Sunday afternoon from the Lodge Guys as my double-bell is fully packed up and I'm driving away, and the Lodge Guys are still wrestling with getting their Tipi's down, and packed up...., as the storm approaches....,

WHAAAAT ?

View attachment 52199

LD

Ya it takes a few times to get the hang of putting up a tipi but after awhile you can do it in the dark . My 18' only took about 25 mins to get the poles up , cover tied , pinned together and staked down. Good to have a metal piece of rebar to make a hole for the tent pegs . The liner took another 10 mins , so not too bad.

We had an old boy who had a health problem or two and was closer to four hundred pounds then three. He decided he had to have a Tee Pee.
So he got one from panther primitives at eighteen feet.we had a voo on Sylamore creek in Arkansas. We had to draw him a map since it was hard to find. I mean looking for the holy grail or Dutchman’s mine difficult to find.
The fellow got to a field that looked just like we told him the ‘voo field looked and he set up his lodge there.
PP had told him to get poles three to four inches in diameter and at least two at the tie point. He followed the advice. He cut pine poles four inches in diameter
Four inches
Teepees go up on poles, these were logs. You could build a cabin out of his poles.
It was about a hundred degrees and this ol’boy put up the whole thing. He looked like a drown rat when he was done putting this up.
some one came by and looked at his lodge and told him ‘you want the rendezvous about a mile up stream’
He got in his truck and drove up to our camp. We gave him a place to change clothes and go get in the creek, we went and got his log cabin tee pee and I don’t think he ever had it up again.

Back in the late 70's, another couple and we got a good deal on a used RK Lodges 24' Tipi. The other husband and I cut and barked the poles from where we got them for free. He made up a special rack for his vehicle to haul the poles.

It was a wonderful place to camp for a LONG weekend to nearly a full week at the Spring and Fall Nationals at Friendship. We had a lot of excess room in the lodge after the four of us set up inside very comfortably.

The only problem is we could not get our squaws to be period correct and set it up for us. GRIN. He and I could set it up or tear it down pretty quick, though. That and when he and his wife moved to CO, we had to sell it as neither of us could pack the poles and everything else we needed, nor set it up by ourselves. This though he could set it up with some help from his wife.

There WAS a Lodge Fire in the Tipi owned by a really great couple from KY, on the Primitive Range at Friendship in the late 70's. This even though they were very experienced, they had fire retardant canvas and they took more care than most how they set up and maintained their lodge. It was shocking how fast the Tipi went up in flames. I just don't remember how it started.

Gus

I had a 16' tipi for years. Tooooo big. Went to 14' Much better. On a church campout we took our tipi instead of a camper. It became the nursery during most activities.. We had 14 young children and five moms asleep one afternoon at nap time [16 footer]. We stayed three days and it was In use every hour of the day. As to fire: used correctly a very small fire will keep your tipi too warm in normal fall weather. Some friends lived two years in a tipi while building their home; mom. dad, 2 kids in Idaho. Yes, in winter. Just be sure you can lift the poles and you have a liner;). Today I am unable to erect a Tipi so I have a wedge tent. It is also pretty good but no fire!!!! Oh, a little Indian saying: White man build big fire sit far away and freeze, Indian build little fire sit up close. Do not build a big fire in a tipi. I had years of experience with a tipi. Read "The Indian teepee" by Reginald and Gladys Laubin. It is the definitive authority. Polecat

Last edited:
Where can a guy find a good deal on a used Tipi?

I've torn the internet apart today, and google hates me.

At the risk of repeating; if you really want to use a TiPi get a copy of: The Indian TiPi by Reginald and Gladys Laubin. Do not buy a TiPi until you have read it. Don't say you were not warned. Polecat [P.S. poles are the most difficult aspect of the TiPi … buying, cutting, trimming, transporting and erecting. Do it wrong and it will all fall down in a breeze. Done right it will stand when stick houses have blown away]

Last edited:
Naw....,
The most perfect tent, IF you wish to include one which works from Medieval times to the American Civil War..., is the double belled tent. Five poles, one man set up, you can use a stove or just a brazier within, lots of room, and you get one with a "medieval door" and an awning, or..., a French door, which is similar to the oft prohibited, Baker tent...,

Medieval Door and additional awnining

View attachment 49938

French Door

View attachment 49941

LD

Looks great, but don’t greasy smoke and plain smoke get trapped in the peak when cooking inside, leaving stains and cooking odors?

Where can a guy find a good deal on a used Tipi?
I've torn the internet apart today, and google hates me.
Check out
Don Strinz Tipi Inc
Address:2325 O Street Rd
Milford, NE,
68405-8712
Phone:402-761-3021
Fax:402-761-3693
Don passed away about 2 years ago, but I think they are still doing TeePees. They used to or still do rent, so I would think they could help with a used one.
Good luck
Larry

Looks great, but don’t greasy smoke and plain smoke get trapped in the peak when cooking inside, leaving stains and cooking odors?

You don't normally "cook" indoors..., the "stove" is for heating and has a stack that carries smoke outside, and you can boil water on it, and a brazier burns charcoal and is for again, for boiling water, so little or no smoke.

LD

I've had an 18, a 16 and 12 in 25 + years. The 12 was the best to set up. Got old and have had a large wall tent, much more comfortable now. A stove is wonderful. If you are in a cooler climate like Maine someone has to doze to keep the fire going. No regrets on having the 3 sizes, I liked the 12 best ,easier to set up and heat. I don't ever want another!
Nit Wit

Back