Quantcast

TP Size

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found that as long as you have flames in your teepee fire the smoke is no problem but if the fire isnt burning correctly it can get bad inside there.
with a fire in the centre of my 18' the canvas never got hot. the teepee canvas was fire retardant which i would suspect all comercial teepees are made of now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Speaking of building a fire in a tee-pee, I recall seeing instructions in a very old Boy Scout book that showed how to supply fresh air to the fire.

First, dig a circular hole 3"-6" deep, where the fire is going to be. Build up the area around the hole using the dirt that was dug out.
Next, dig a trench 4 to 6 inches wide and the same depth as the fire pit from the pit to a place outside the area that the tee-pee will cover.
Cover this trench with bark and put a little dirt on top of the bark to hold it in place. Leave the outside end of the trench open to the air.

By doing this, fresh air will be supplied to the fire thru the trench so, the amount of outside air that enters the tee-pee thru the doorway or from under the skirt will be greatly reduced. Doing this will keep the inside of the tee-pee considerably warmer than it would be if all of the fresh air supplying the fire comes in thru the door flap.

Do any of you tee-pee users, do this?
I've seen guys build the trench using pipe. I've also seen guys just put a stove in the tipi and put 2 or 3 sections of pipe on it aimed for the center flap. A stove is safer and easier to cook on than an open fire.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of building a fire in a tee-pee, I recall seeing instructions in a very old Boy Scout book that showed how to supply fresh air to the fire.

First, dig a circular hole 3"-6" deep, where the fire is going to be. Build up the area around the hole using the dirt that was dug out.
Next, dig a trench 4 to 6 inches wide and the same depth as the fire pit from the pit to a place outside the area that the tee-pee will cover.
Cover this trench with bark and put a little dirt on top of the bark to hold it in place. Leave the outside end of the trench open to the air.

By doing this, fresh air will be supplied to the fire thru the trench so, the amount of outside air that enters the tee-pee thru the doorway or from under the skirt will be greatly reduced. Doing this will keep the inside of the tee-pee considerably warmer than it would be if all of the fresh air supplying the fire comes in thru the door flap.

Do any of you tee-pee users, do this?
I used to do it with out covering the trench. Right beside the door. As it was cold air it stayed in the trench.
The ice age people of the Ukraine left huts that were made of bone. These seem to have that same trench.

Ferret Master

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all your information and suggestions. One member contacted me and we met to set up a 16ft Lodge. It was a very valuable education. Turned out to be one of the winder days we have had in quite a while. As it turns out it would be impossible for my wife, daughter and I to set up one of these. We did provide and entertaining afternoon for the other club members present. Just after sun down we finally got it up and actually built a small fire in it, very cool. I am very grateful for the opportunity to make an informed decision and the opportunity to make a new friend.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Winds hard on setting up any tent.
A wall tent-miners cabin can give you a lot of room an a easy set. A small marquee is widely accepted from F&I to westren expansion

Komox

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Had an 18' tipi from RKLodges . Well made . Could set it up myself but it was about the maximum size to set up solo . It is quite large inside for 2 people a 16' tipi is about right for 2 adults and 2 kids .

A 14' is easier to erect , heat and ok for 2 people . Wall tents are much warmer and overall just easier to deal with . You can't beat a tipi for sheer beauty though

Latest posts