• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tee Pee Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always wanted a TP and am very seriously considering getting one now. I would appreciate any advice on size for 3 people and ease of use and set up. My other issue is that I live on the east coast and know that it is not typical for this coast. In the past I've used a wall tent with a wood stove that I heat with and cook on. Back in the 90's when I first got it I took a lot of grief about the stove until at our fall get together we had an unexpected rainy cold front come in over night that made it just about impossible to start a fire outside. I decided to fix a lot of bacon, blueberry pancakes and blackberry muffins. No more grief after that.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

Teepee, tipi or tepee.
TP is toilet paper.
Yup........

To answer the OP's question:

105953330-1559846818658lifestyle1withcharminlogo.png

Sorry most local clubs won't allow me to dig the drain field.
To answer your intended question, from what I've read on this forum most appear to consider the teepee set up to be a pain, the larger the teepee the bigger the pain. That said I'm unfamiliar with teepees so someone else should be able to answer your size question. I know Panther Primitives has teepees that run from 12' to 24' in diameter. I'm assuming a 12 footer would work but it would probably be a little tight for three people plus gear.

A tipi is about the most perfect tent, and I love ‘em. However as said it’s a pia to set up. And we have added silly rules. Four poles north, four poles south. Three poles west then lift pole. Two smoke poles one pole to the east to hold the bottom of the smoke flaps.
Bull pukies.
Photos of tipis show a wide variety of sets. Also shows short fat, tall slim and many classic.
Ten foot is good for one person, or two traveling light. Fourteen is great for a couple or three. Any more and you sleep packed pretty close. One to each side of the fire, or a couple in the back and one on the side and gear to the other.
Any bigger then fourteen is real hard for one person to set up. Above eighteen it’s hard to heat with out a good sized fire and that steals a lot of space. I’ve owned three, haven’t used one for years because it doesn’t go with my outfit. But many the time I’ve missed it ..... that wasn’t moving it

Having owned and used one the 18’ to 20’ size is dandy. They aren’t hard to set up but hauling the poles can be tricky. I made a metal rack that attached to the bumper of my Jeep and laid the poles on the hard top with the tips on the rack in front. All my gear went inside with room for my son and wife. At living history events spectators would ask how long it takes to set up. My answer was “30 minutes by myself but with help I could do it in an hour.”

A tipi is about the most perfect tent
Naw....,
The most perfect tent, IF you wish to include one which works from Medieval times to the American Civil War..., is the double belled tent. Five poles, one man set up, you can use a stove or just a brazier within, lots of room, and you get one with a "medieval door" and an awning, or..., a French door, which is similar to the oft prohibited, Baker tent...,

Medieval Door and additional awnining

Double Bell Medieval Door and awning.JPG

French Door

Double Bell French Door.JPG

LD

My 18ft. was the best camp I ever used, hot weather or cold. Transport of poles and drying wet canvas was a pain but was worth it. Due to age(77) and health issues I had to go back to my Baker tent for easier set up and tear down, I'm going to miss the tipi but time marches on.

LD no doubt that’s a good tent, I’ve been eying one my self, and you can use it from colonial to WTBS. You can’t do that with a tipi. Howsomever, in spite of the fact I’m usually in agreement with you, you just caint beat a TP. On this detail your wrong, in fact your what God had in mind when he invented the word wrong
All right that a bit harsh and an exaggeration, but Tipis is nice. A cold night, a warm lodge, stars peaking through the smoke flap... ummmm. Puts me in mind of Dan George, “I just might have to take up this Tipi living”.😊

I know the original tee-pee's were made from animal hides so there was no great danger there but, if a modern tee-pee is made from cloth, isn't there a danger from sparks rising from the fire built inside it, sitting it on fire?

I know the original tee-pee's were made from animal hides so there was no great danger there but, if a modern tee-pee is made from cloth, isn't there a danger from sparks rising from the fire built inside it, sitting it on fire?
You are relying on the fire retardant treated material. Plus, the tipi is not sitting on the fire 🤔...... got to love auto correct.

I’ve had some rather large fires in my teepee with out the cloth being effected at all. The most exciting time was when a fellow cooked a whole pound of bacon then after picking the meat out pored the grease into the fire. HUGE flare up! We all were hugging the ground and giving him the benefit of our knowledge on the act. That was on the hunt that is the top photo. No damage to the teepee, but he was banned from cooking!

I’ve built more then one fire under a tarp sans problems. Then made lots of tripods for hanging a pot over a fire from thin dry wood with out burnin it down. It’s along way from even a tall flame to nearest canvas.... unless someone is tossing on that bacon fat.
A small lodge heats well with a small fire. And a big lodge is way up in the air afore you have canvas over the flame.

Speaking of building a fire in a tee-pee, I recall seeing instructions in a very old Boy Scout book that showed how to supply fresh air to the fire.

First, dig a circular hole 3"-6" deep, where the fire is going to be. Build up the area around the hole using the dirt that was dug out.
Next, dig a trench 4 to 6 inches wide and the same depth as the fire pit from the pit to a place outside the area that the tee-pee will cover.
Cover this trench with bark and put a little dirt on top of the bark to hold it in place. Leave the outside end of the trench open to the air.

By doing this, fresh air will be supplied to the fire thru the trench so, the amount of outside air that enters the tee-pee thru the doorway or from under the skirt will be greatly reduced. Doing this will keep the inside of the tee-pee considerably warmer than it would be if all of the fresh air supplying the fire comes in thru the door flap.

Do any of you tee-pee users, do this?

I read that idea a book about teepee using and gave it a try. Didn’t seem to make much if any difference. What I did learn is how you set up the shell and liner would make or break how the fire drew. Winter camp proved that a cheery fire of smaller wood gave the most heat and any smoke went up and out. The smoke flaps required setting properly and adjusted as conditions changed. Digging the fire into a pit also didn’t help except to reduce the heat in warmer camps. A teepee isn’t a set it and relax type of shelter, it’s more like driving a car, easy enough if you pay attention to what’s going on.

Latest posts

Back