• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tower Flintlock Frizzen Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threepdr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In have one of the old Japanese Tower flint pistols with broken frizzen spring. Dixie no longer has parts. The frizzen spring they offer for an original Tower pistol is gigantic, big enough for a musket.

Does anyone know of an off the shelf spring, perhaps for a Siler or L&R lock that would work on the Tower with a little fitting. Someone surley has jumped through this hoop before.

Thanks!

I have the same issue and have not found a ready to use spring that will fit but you have a few different options:

1. Buy a spring blank from DGW which you'll need to file to fit. Some supposedly just need to have the pin area filed to fit but are already tempered. Others will need to be tempered after fitting.

2. Buy a spring that's roughly the same size but the pin location is different. Drill a new hole in the lock plate where the pin will fit.

3. Have a spring made... Link

Thanks Muskeg,

I fully expect to have to do some filing and possibly redrill the lock plate, maybe even temper it myself. I just need to find the spring that matches closest in size and geometry.

Maybe someone who has done this successfully will reveal which sprng they started with. If not, then I'll start with a blank and make it fit.

I have several of these guns, one has a broken Main spring, i tried several diferent springs and reshapped them to fit,after working them and installing they broke also after just a few cocks of the hammer.These locks seem to be an odd size for finding replacements. A completly custom spring is what will be needed. I just use this one for parts now. Good Luck finding them.

Finally figured out that the frizzen spring for a large Siler lock fits OK. A little long but works fine.

I had to rebuild a Japanese Tower Pistol once. The frizzen wasn't hard and the mainspring was sprung. Since I only had $25 invested in this particular P.O.S. I wasn't too worried about messing it up. I had some small Siler parts laying around. With some judicious use of a Dremel tool grinder I got the frizzen to fit. The main spring was about the right size but the holes were in the wrong place so I drilled some new holes. The gun now shoots. I haven't messed with the trigger pull so it still has a 10 pound trigger pull and the geometry of the lock is poor so it eats flints, I get about 6 shots and the flint is toast, but it does work.

The price for the fix was about right though. Two hours messing around and some free parts.

Many Klatch.

Good thing about Siler spring is no need to drill lockplate. You do have to enlarge the screw hole on the spring though.

Siler spring feather portion of the spring don't quite extend out far enough past the frizzen pivot point. I ended up making a spring from a Dixie blank after all.

Latest posts

Back