• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tow Wads, Part 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week I tested tow wads in my T/C Renegade SB with a tight fitting .550" RB (home cast) and was impressed with how well they did @ 25 yd. Today I tested tow wads in my Green River Forge 20ga. trade gun with a tight fitting RB (.618", Tanner mould), but @ 50 yd. Given my past experience with tow wads and RB's in that gun at that distance, I wondered whether I'd hit the target at all. As you can see from the attached targets, there wasn't much need for concern (LOL), but there were a few flyers. To wit, shots #4 & 10 were due to a dirty bore and an aiming error on my part. Shot #9 I can't explain. Also the 2 fouler used a different RB and the 2 shots off the paper bag target backer were pre-existing.

Now for the particulars: I used a bore diameter .618" RB with tow wads large enough to require some effort to seat. The powder charge was 85gr. Goex FFFg, which wasn't nearly as dirty as claimed. I also swabbed the bore with a damp patch followed by a dry one after every 2nd shot and set the rifle on a proper bench rest and rear bag. Not counting the foulers, I took 12 shots. Were I to repeat this test, I'd swab after each shot so as to minimize the odds of getting shots like #4 and #10. Incidentally, this is the best accuracy I've ever achieved in that particular gun @ 50 yd. Also, in my guns at least, I find a bore diameter RB, tight tow wads, and frequent bore swabbing really make a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_6376.jpeg
    IMG_6376.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6377.jpeg
    IMG_6377.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 163
Your results resemble mine ... a near bore size ball without a patch performs better in my 16 gun.

Have you tried wasp nest for wadding? It would lessen the concerns of smoldering..

And it seals the bore better than tow , imho.

Good shooting ! I haven’t done any testing at 50 yards, but plan too soon!

Sorry to respond so late, smo, but no, I've not tried wasp nest although there is an active one above one of our benches at the 25 yd. range. (One of them really didn't like my being there last week and stung me!).

I hate wasp, or anything that resembles a wasp!

Take wasp spray back with you on your next range trip, then the next trip you’ll have some nest to try!

Back