• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tow wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to try out tow wadding with RB and shot. Right now I shoot op card, lubed fiber wad and OS card for both. I get good accuracy with RB and have taken a few deer and bear. I also get good tight patterns with shot out to 30 yards and have taken a few Gobblers, Grouse, rabbits and a bunch of squirrels. If I can get the same results using tow, If my thinking is right, It seems to me using the tow would be quicker to load not fumbling around with cards and wads. Anyway, my questions for anyone with experience using tow for wadding are: Do you use Flax, Hemp or Jute tow? Is there a difference? What's the loading procedure? Do you use a lube with it? Do you load the same with Shot and RB? Thanks in advance.

All and no I don’t see a difference, also picked wool from old scraps.
I pick a pinch and roll it in to a ball a little larger then the bore. with a little lard as lube put them in a tin to carry. In use I thumb them partly in to the muzzle then pick the top open to form a little nest that I force the ball into, ram home as a single unit. Makes a pseudo patch.
You can pick up hemp string at wall mart and worry it apart.

Do you use Flax, Hemp or Jute tow? Yes
Is there a difference? Not that I've seen.
What's the loading procedure? Wad it up, stuff it down on top of the powder, add the ball or shot, add more tow, ram it down. Prime and fire.
Do you use a lube with it? Sometimes when I use scrap wool fibers, see Tenngun's post above ^^
Do you load the same with Shot and RB? Yes.

It's faster still, to use pre-rolled cartridges. One for the powder, and one for the shot. ;)

LD

Back