• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tow replacement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokingoodtimes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Always playing with new stuff for my smoothie. I like to learn how “they did it back then” since half the time it works better and is more simple. I’ve always wanted to try using tow rather than the cushion wads and cards and such. I’ve read some say not to use tow because of the risk of starting a forest fire so was wondering what you guys use or can be used as a replacement for tow? I do have have some newspaper print I use for paper cartridges. Can that be used? If so do you just crumple it and ram it down? Any input or ideas are greatly appreciated.

I use dismantled sisal rope tow, I use a beeswax/ olive oil lube mix. I form the tow into a loose ball and drag it through the lube then roll it in the palm of my hand so all the fibers get coated. I have not had one yet catch fire when using this method. But, you still need to be a smart and responsible shooter/hunter ensuring that the ground litter isn't that flammable and policing your tow balls after the shot to ensure that they don't start a fire.

In the dry fall, hunt only in the morning when the ground is covered with dew, when the dew burns off, go home.

I always try to find and evaluate whatever comes out my barrel after the shot whether it be a tow ball, plastic wad, fiber wad, cloth patch or something else.

If you want a really good wad, punch some out of thick leather and lube them. Not only do they perform extremely well, but they are almost completely fireproof.

I've used the sisal rope fiber as well. I lube it. I seem to remember reading somewhere, an old thread here years ago probably, that modern rope is treated with a fire retardant.
Wasp nest is popular and fire retardant. A lot of folks use it. Seems bulky to carry to me.
Spence reports good results with a simple 1"x2" rectangle of brown paper "rubbed soft," and folded in half for a 1x1" square used as a wad.

Thanks for the info guys! Now that I think of it I have 70 feet of the sisal rope left over from a roll of rope I bought to make cheap slings for various things. I will give that a try. Also will try the paper method. Do I need bigger squares for a .69 cal?

I have many pieces of oil tanned leather too big to throw away, and too small to do much with. I've punched out 5/8" (.625) circles to use as over powder wads. On top of the ball, I've stuffed pieces of old blanket material cut from scraps too big to throw away, and too small to do anything with. It doesn't make much difference how big the blanketing pieces are, as long as they're big enough to hold the ball in place.

I have read in a blacksmithing blog that if you mix borax and boric acid two to one and mix in water you get a fire retardant mix. I intend to spray the inside of my shed with this to keep it from burning down. I am going to soak brown paper (grocery store bags) strips in this mixture and see if it burns.

I have read in a blacksmithing blog that if you mix borax and boric acid two to one and mix in water you get a fire retardant mix. I intend to spray the inside of my shed with this to keep it from burning down. I am going to soak brown paper (grocery store bags) strips in this mixture and see if it burns.
I've read of this bring done.

I use either newspaper soaked in borax and boiling water solution or wasps nest for wadding in my 20ga FDC with good results. They are both fire retardent an I have had no indication of embers
burning as I shoot.
The solution I use on newspaper is 2 1/2 tablespoons Borax Laundry booster to each cup of boiling water. the borax needs to be dissolved into the water thoroughly by stirring well. The paper I lay in a shallow pan and pour the water over to soak. Take out of pan to dry on a rack.
Leadball L.

Last edited:
I use dismantled sisal rope tow, I use a beeswax/ olive oil lube mix. I form the tow into a loose ball and drag it through the lube then roll it in the palm of my hand so all the fibers get coated. I have not had one yet catch fire when using this method. But, you still need to be a smart and responsible shooter/hunter ensuring that the ground litter isn't that flammable and policing your tow balls after the shot to ensure that they don't start a fire.

In the dry fall, hunt only in the morning when the ground is covered with dew, when the dew burns off, go home.

I always try to find and evaluate whatever comes out my barrel after the shot whether it be a tow ball, plastic wad, fiber wad, cloth patch or something else.

If you want a really good wad, punch some out of thick leather and lube them. Not only do they perform extremely well, but they are almost completely fireproof.

This is exactly what I do.

I mix equal parts bees wax and olive oil into a tin.

I use balls of tow or balls of pulled rope hemp, whichever is available. This works great in all my guns. It even cleans the bore up a little.

I've used the sisal rope fiber as well. I lube it. I seem to remember reading somewhere, an old thread here years ago probably, that modern rope is treated with a fire retardant.
Wasp nest is popular and fire retardant. A lot of folks use it. Seems bulky to carry to me.
Spence reports good results with a simple 1"x2" rectangle of brown paper "rubbed soft," and folded in half for a 1x1" square used as a wad.
the one inch square is used by Duelist1954.

Back