• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TOW powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one horn that has a filling port in the plug, the other 4 have a fixed finial. Powder Horns & More have some with that option but I picked up several otoscope cones several years ago and they work đź‘Ť.

Good advice; In my last annual Medicare exam, I was seen by a young resident who kindly gave me a couple of the little black plastic tips that they use on otoscopes, for examining your ears. I thought these might make good powder horn filling funnels, and for once in my life, I was right about something. They work very well.

I use the otoscope tips. There is usually a holder of them on the wall. If I have to wait in the room for a while, they can at least let me have a couple of them.

Pull the ebony plug, wrap your thumb and first finger around the horn slightly proud of the tip, and pour in the powder. Easy.;)
I also have done that, with the WEB of my thumb & first, fore finger. work's great!.

I knew I had a shot of this method.
YES, that is what I am talking about! it is the tried and true method! give it a try it will amaze you. it is so simple that a CAVE MAN CAN DO IT!!

I keep my old Goex cans. I cut a hole in the top and soldered a cut off 223 cartridge to it. Works great to fill a horn or pour into a measure with zero spilling or mess.
you are so right, it has been done with a myriad of cartridge's!

never tried the .223 trick, although i can't see why it wouldn't work just fine ... always used a bit of printer paper rolled into a funnel.
it is a bugger when it comes unrolled in the moment you have it full of powder.

I use the otoscope tips. There is usually a holder of them on the wall. If I have to wait in the room for a while, they can at least let me have a couple of them.
what is an OTOSCOPE TIP? just courious? it is probeley something so simple?

The little black funnel looking things, usually stacked in a holder, on the exam room wall. They come in various sizes.

None of the original horns I have show a filling port. Unless each fellow had some sort of a filling funnel , he did what AMES suggested above. In the southern Appalachian Mtn's , a small leather washer w/ a hole was popular. It was again held in the fashion AMES demonstrated.........oldwood

Yep, filled horns this way for years. Just, as said, wrap your fingers around the opening at the tip of the horn, pour slowly, it will fill up fast. You could save the parts you have ordered for another horn. Try building or making a horn your self. It is not that difficult, Horns can have their own personality. You can make a "barn horn" one that is pretty rough, or keep working the horn and come out with a nice finished horn. Anyway they can be a great project.

Back