• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tow, how long would it last?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just for a chuckle.
I need to buy some, but just thought I would look on line to see if a bigger bulk was available and what prices are,
Went on a site called Alibaba.com. It had Tow for sale and I wanted to see if there were two or three people who wanted to go in with me on a bulk order
‘Flax Tows’ 20 metric tons min order.
O k let’s do the math. 4 oz last me from four to six months, a metric ton is a bit over 2200 lbs, four sets of 4 oz to the pound, times 2200 times four months, I think that might last me a bit, even divided by three or four guy going in together;)
I think I’ll stick to the four oz at a time, maybe buy a few at once.

ZOIKERS o_O

That's a lot of tow....,

I'm thinking of getting some Jute twine, thick enough to use for canteen straps and cinching bags closed, and when I need a new hunk of "tow" simply cutting off about 6" of that stuff from the spool and turning it into a "rat's nest" and using that for cleaning or wadding. After a few cleanings, I'd dry it and put it in the fire making kit.

Not sure where I'd store 2200 lbs. of tow....

There's got to be a bad PUN in there somewhere...just can't think of it..., haven't had coffee yet.....

LD

Back when I was bothering with an e-commerce site, some Chinese supplier searched for "horse hair", found me, and on the daily for years emailed trying to sell it to me by the tonne. The most I've ever purchased at one time was five pounds, and that was to save on shipping on the next order.

Found out sometime later from one of my vendors that he tried buying from those people, and he was shipped mane hair instead of the tail hair he was promised. Took him years to unload it at cost.

Just for a chuckle.
I need to buy some, but just thought I would look on line to see if a bigger bulk was available and what prices are,
Went on a site called Alibaba.com. It had Tow for sale and I wanted to see if there were two or three people who wanted to go in with me on a bulk order
‘Flax Tows’ 20 metric tons min order.
O k let’s do the math. 4 oz last me from four to six months, a metric ton is a bit over 2200 lbs, four sets of 4 oz to the pound, times 2200 times four months, I think that might last me a bit, even divided by three or four guy going in together;)
I think I’ll stick to the four oz at a time, maybe buy a few at once.

You have too much time on your hands my friend.

Imagine what it was like 2-300 years ago waiting for something from china or India. Probably 6 months to year there and another back. If it didn't sink or get pilfered by pirates.

Back