TOW (flax fiber)

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Last batch of tow I got was VERY long fiber from Silver Shuttle, 2547 Madison Ave, Memphis, TN 38112 (901) 323-7925. It was pretty cheep some time back and I ordered six pounds. That's enough to go years and years (and years).

The skeins look like twisted blond wigs.

dgracia

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What is moose milk
I use Stumpy's Moose Snot, which is another Stumpy concoctionhe developed to be used in loading blocks. I just carry a tin of it with me, rub my patch in it until I can feel it come through the other side (it's about the consistency of paste shoe was) and virtually never need to wipe between shots. If you get a ball that's tough to load, just use more Moose Snot on the next one and everything will load easily again. You can find more about it at my earlier post using the link below:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/homebrewed-lube-mix-w-tallow.118600/page-2#post-1629550

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

MSW

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
By way of 'dumb question,' how much tow is needed? does one use is in place of an over powder card? (i'm looking to a .62 smoothie) am I looking at a quarter ounce? a tenth?

any guidance would be helpful - thanks in advance!

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Pinch off a ball or cut off one about the size of the ball rolled in your palms.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
Last batch of tow I got was VERY long fiber from Silver Shuttle, 2547 Madison Ave, Memphis, TN 38112 (901) 323-7925. It was pretty cheep some time back and I ordered six pounds. That's enough to go years and years (and years).

The skeins look like twisted blond wigs.
The last time I searched for Susan and the Silver Shuttle, I couldn't find her or them. She hasn't been to Fort de Chartres for several years.

Reaction score
I got a fat wad of good tow from Turkey Foot alongn with a side of country cured bacon.

BOTH GREAT!

SirFrancis

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought a pound of flax tow on eBay. Total came to about $33 shipped I think. Not the cheapest thing I’ve ever bought, but this pound should last a long, long time. And from what I read, the stuff is washable too.

pat i.

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Old thread but I bought mine from Amazon. Search AAYU Jute Fiber Moss. Use it fire starting. Big ol' bag for 15 bucks with free shipping.

necchi

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously.
This thread is 4yrs old,, you had to drag this up for comment?
With a little research, you may be surprised to find that there are several "grades" of flax tow,
From long and silky smooth for spinning thread all the way to abrasive shards that will scrub a cast iron pan.
There is nothing "obvious" about any single persons need or use for the product. Different grades can and do have different functional uses.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
For cleaning, you would want the coarsest Tow from flax. Other grades are made by fraying various twines such as jute, sisal and manila fIbers.

Latest posts