• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW Barrel Mounted Peep Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used those but I do use the Marble "Bullseye" peep that fits in the barrel dovetail & have a friend that uses the Skinner barrel mounted peep. I also have used & installed the XS Sight System barrel mounted peep on a GPR & other Hawken style rifles. Excellent sights & very nice to use. Drop your preconceived notions about "Peeps" needing to be on the tang & near your eye. I not sure I would buy the TOTW offered sight as it has a small peep & is very crude, but I couldn't be happier with what I use & would never go back the the rear "notch" style.

Anyone ever try one of these?
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/881/1/RS-CA-PEEP-14
I like the low height but not sure if they will be good for hunting or too far from the eye for a open sight picture.
I ordered one of these a while back, and there was no way it was going to work in the position of a traditional notched sight. The aperture was way too small to be useful in what many call the scout position, there wasn’t enough metal to open the aperture diameter up to at least .150”. I wound up making a square notch rear sight out of it. I wasn’t going to add a dovetail in the breech area, and it wasn’t going to work on the breech plug.

I’m with @Old Hawkeye and the Marbles’ Bullseye sight if you want to use the mid barrel scout position. I’ve recently posted photographs in another thread showing one I installed if interested. If you like the more traditional peep position close to your eye, consider mounting a sight on the tang or the breech plug if you have a chambered breech. Later TC had one hole tapped in their plugs. For a tang mount peep, some here have posted photographs of theirs made out of sheet metal, guessing someone will post photo soon. Currently considering this option for a current Jeager build, my eyesight just isn’t what it used to be.

I been working w/ peep sights for a while , and found hunting with the ones mounted where a standard open rear sight is mounted make target acquisition much more difficult. I have old eyes , currently using a cobbled up Tang mount w/the screw in apertures on my long rifle with great success . This peep has increased my 50 cal. 2.5 " group size range , to easily 75 + yds.................... oldwood

FWIW, I found that a full buckhorn rear sight is essentially a barrel-mounted peep sight, but large enough that it doesn't obstruct sighting.

v2m9CTKl.jpg

Excellent replies, gentlemen. I appreciate all your responses and suggestions. I may get around to crafting one to keep it low to the barrel, as I enjoy a good check weld that higher sights won't allow. I'm wondering if the Marbles aperture sight that fits into the dovetail is tall off the barrel? The Lyman replacement sights that came with this rifle are quite tall and something more streamlined would be great.
Keep sharing all this fine information.

I been working w/ peep sights for a while , and found hunting with the ones mounted where a standard open rear sight is mounted make target acquisition much more difficult. I have old eyes , currently using a cobbled up Tang mount w/the screw in apertures on my long rifle with great success . This peep has increased my 50 cal. 2.5 " group size range , to easily 75 + yds.................... oldwood
Target acquisition is easier for me with the barrel mounted peep, IF it is the right one with the right opening & paired with the right front sight. The Marble "Bull's Eye" gives great vision all around it, the circles are thin allowing a very unobstructed view, & paired with the XS Sight System front blade with white front is fast to pick up & very precise. Gotta try more than one thing to see what works. I find the tang mounted peeps block my vision more & it's like looking through a tunnel. Great for target work, but not as good for hunting. Just my two cents.

Back