• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touching up stocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good ole boy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a Renegade with beutifull wood that has some handling bumps and small scuff marks.Some are deeper than others but none are deeper than what I would say is 1/16th of an inch.Is there anything I can do w/out havin to redo the whole stock?I don,t want it to look tacky with a bunch of touchups showin up either.

Would steaming out dents work on finished wood without destroying the finish?

Smollett

Damp cloth on the dent...hot iron...circular motion..light touch...when the steam rises, stop and check.

Been a long time since I did it, but "you should be fine".

Really? I am thrilled. There's a very shallow "line" compression across the wood on my side plate flat. I would love to get rid of that.

Thank you guys.
Smollett

Smollett said:
Really? I am thrilled. There's a very shallow "line" compression across the wood on my side plate flat. I would love to get rid of that.

Thank you guys.
Smollett

That should disappear no problem.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

About the only time steaming won't allow the wood to return to its pre-dented condition is if the wood fibers were cut or broken.

Scratches and sharp edged dents cut the wood grain so steaming usually doesn't totally fix the problem.

Zonie said:
About the only time steaming won't allow the wood to return to its pre-dented condition is if the wood fibers were cut or broken.

Scratches and sharp edged dents cut the wood grain so steaming usually doesn't totally fix the problem.

This is a very important point to make. Even the shallowest dent will not be able to be removed if the fibers are damaged.

I,m lucky I know how to get on sites like this let alone send pics.Plus I don,t have one of those dorky phones.

If you PM me I will give you my email and if you are able to send them to me that way I will post them for you.

Steaming works great with oil type finishes. Varnish and plastic not so much. Those you usually have to take off at least the surface shine over the dent.

A light rub with oil on the spot that was steamed, after raising the dent, helps a lot. Also have found that a well rubbed in thin coat of oil once a year really helps keep stocks looking great.

I don't have a dorky phone and I post pics on here. Don't need a phone, you need a camera.

The last camera I had I bought at the grocery store and then took it back there to get it,s pics developed.Is the glossy factory finish on my Renegade topped off with polyurethane?What type of oil are you talkin about rubbin on the stock?

Back