• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch Hole ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that GCA does not apply to over 50 cal fixed ammo or muzzle loading.

NFA does apply to muzzle loading firearms over .50. The pre 1899 and replicas fall under an antique exemption like in GCA. Don't have my ATF book right hand but there are at least two references sporting arms over 50 cal. cartridge and muzzle loading being exempt. But under NFA there is or was a specific section that exempted all over .50 cal muzzle loaders, including post 1899 greater than .50 guns. That is the section I am looking for.

GCA 68 does not apply toguns over .50 cal, even muzzle loaders.,

Sorry DD
I've read my reg book several times and have'nt found any exemption for over 50 cal muzzle loaders EXCEPT the "antique" exemption.

There is an over 50 cal "sporting" reg listed in The NFA tital 26 US code, Chapter 53
Section 5845. Definitions
Paragraph (f) Distructive device.
The term "destructive device" means (1) any explosive, incendiary,or poison gas (A) bomb (B) grenade, (C) rocket having an propellant charge of more than four ounces, (D)missle having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than a quarter ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device;
(2)any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or may be readily converted to, expel a perjectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant,the barrel or barrels have a bore of more than a half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3)any combunation of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as described in subparagraph (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be assembled.
The term "destrustive device" shall not include any device which neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; although originally designed for use as a weapon which is redesigned as a signaling, pyrotechnic, linethrowing,safty, or similar device; surplus ordanance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the army prusuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or anyother device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon,or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
I know this isn't what you are looking fore but it's all I can find in the NFA section that refers to a bore over 1/2 inch.
SC45-70

That's the one that lets sho0t our 577 2 3/4 Nitro express rifles and 58 cal muzzle loaders. There is a second similarly worded section that also cover.

Thanks for looking guys...When I get next to m ATF book, I keep forgetting to look.

sc45-70 said:
In response to DD.
The NFA, Title 26, US Code, Chapter 53

5845. Definitions

(g) Antique Firearms

The term "antique firearm" means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammununtion and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)

I hope this helps.

SC45-70

You are absolutely dead on right!!! I just got a letter from ATF today spelling it out for me.

5845. Definitions

(g) Antique Firearms

The term "antique firearm" means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammununtion and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)

The key element-antique ignition. I failed see both Parentheses. If it antique ignition the year of manufacture doesn't apply.

What's that saying? Sometimes its hard to see the forest for all the trees....you guys were saying this all along.
First the antique ignition

Since I made an "antique firearm" (flintlock) does that make me "antique"? :confused:

I hate it when the government calls me old. :(

(g) Antique Firearms

sometimes ther is some state of other local regulations one has to be aware of
as well as the federal regs

Also, remember that though your local jurisdiction may not have something that actually prohibits the firing of a cannon or muzzleloading arm inside city limits (blank firing), you may find that ordinances covering the firing of fireworks, pyrotechnical devices, and/or a noise ordinance may suffice, or perhaps the storage of the powder may get you into trouble.

My county for many years had a very odd set of laws, such that you couldn't hunt with a modern gun South of a specified boundary, but "antique firearms" were not prohibited. You just had to have permission to shoot from neighbors within 150 yards of where you were standing when firing. The state didn't recognize a loaded cap-n-ball revolver as a handgun, so if a robber used one..., they were charged with robbery and "carrying a deadly device" and you had to prove it was loaded at the time (much lower penalties).

Then they "tightened up" the laws for a while, and the hunting regulations..., but now as the deer are all over the place (and one went through the windshield of a county councilman one night) IF you have enough land South of the "no shoot zone", and notify the police you are going to hunt that land (avoids numerous responses for "sounds of shots" if they know a hunter is out there) then you can hunt there.

So check and be sure of all the levels of the law before you start burning powder.

LD

Latest posts

Back