• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Touch hole position

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a rifle I was concerned about with the same issue. I have only had one miss fire after sending countless balls down range.
RM
Looks like you have a nice deep pan and you can pull that hole forward if you don’t have a touch hole liner already. but if it works leave it. Just a little powder beneath the touch hole unless you don’t mind the additional delay and swoosh bang. I think we all learn that eventually. I had purchased a pedersolli Charleville with a flash hole in almost the same location a bit too far aft it still fired. Even though it fired fine it bothered me lol. So I ordered a few different liners, I ended up using a white lighting I think. Which ever one I used matched the barrel steel in color that was not planned just worked out that way. The barrel is round on that flinter. You can get some wide touch hole liners. Pendersoli beryllium being the widest I found metric thread also I think. Heck you could make your own. I took a 3/32 pin router and pulled the hole forward and then using step drills opened it up to the tap size, tapped it, and presto you would never know it’s there more importantly corrected. Went in through the but end with a small round rifle file to take down the liner to match the barrel thread height so jags can get to the face of the breach plug. a drill bench to keep bits from walking is the way to go. Actually pretty simple to do just have to be comfortable doing it.

Yes, it is a wrist repair. The stock was completely broken into two pieces. Joined together with some epoxy and wrapped with a piece of brass. The repair was made 30 years ago and is still strong.
Wow, is good to know that can be repaired so well.
Hi,
The vent liner he appears to have is heavily funneled on the inside. It looks like a white lightning liner. He cannot funnel the outside at all. My advise is to shoot it. If you have many flashes in the pan with no ignition of the charge, consider drilling the vent hole a little larger. A #52 or #51 drill is a good choice even with a white lightning liner.

dave
it’s already drilled to #52

it’s already drilled to #52
Above all, I would leave the touchhole alone until you have a number of trips to the range under your belt.

That said, I know it goes against what many suggest, but I have pretty much opened all my touch holes up to 5/64” diameter. Early on had the occasional flash in the pan with 1/16” diameter touch holes that virtually went away as I opened them up to 5/64”. If the gun shoots to your liking drilled with a #52 drill, great, leave it alone and enjoy. If not, I would suggest moving up one number diameter drill at a time (don’t have a chart in front of me, but believe they step up in .003” or so increments) and trying a number of shots, say 100 minimum before stepping up to the next size. Kind of a PIA to change the White Lightening liners if you go further than you would like or is needed, so move slow.

One of the reasons I like the removal liners is how easily they are replaced, though I don’t care for how they look. I do added a generous chamfer on the powder side of the liner using a #2 center drilll with a 5/64” business end.

Back