• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Touch hole / Breech plug issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 55736

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue.
I bought a brand new out of the box Left Handed Traditions Pa Pellet Flintlock recently. I was getting things ready with my Uncle to go shoot it for the first time and he noticed that the touch hole is on the wrong side ! Is there anything that can be done to remedy this or does it need to be sent back to the manufacturer?? Any help is greatly appreciated! ( I have attached photos of the flash pan and the touch hole on the opposite side of the breech plug )

Attachments

• 20221121_154055.jpg
    20221121_154055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221121_154107.jpg
    20221121_154107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the "READ THE MANUAL" Response....very informative...smh
I have read the manual 3 times over hence the asking for help.

And like I said in my original post, this is how it came from factory out of the box. I haven't even had it apart yet to clean it.
I have contacted Traditions and spoke with one of their reps. luckily it was a fixable issue and not the wrong barrel installed from factory

**They actually explained to me how to fix the issue and all is right with the world.**

I have no experience with these guns. Just reading through this, it is amazing and perplexing to me how a touch hole ends up on the wrong side of a barrel and even more so, it is a "fixable issue" without some major surgery. I'm beginning to understand my father explaining the first time he saw an automobile.
Robby

I have no experience with these guns. Just reading through this, it is amazing and perplexing to me how a touch hole ends up on the wrong side of a barrel and even more so, it is a "fixable issue" without some major surgery. I'm beginning to understand my father explaining the first time he saw an automobile.
Robby
I was blown away that it came that way from the factory...you'd think they would know how to put a firearm together let alone inspect it before shipping to a shop.

I was blown away that it came that way from the factory...you'd think they would know how to put a firearm together let alone inspect it before shipping to a shop.
Nah..., what the guys did was mark the barrels and the stocks, then they took them apart. Another guy simply chunked the barrel into the machine, and completed the touch hole. The next guy installed the touch hole liner (if there is a touch hole liner). He then put the barrel on the "finished" table. A fourth guy reassembled the barrel into the stock having mixed up barrels, BUT unlike a caplock which is obvious, a flintlock has a mere hole, and he screwed up putting a right handed flint barrel on the left handed stock, and then put the rifle on the "ready to package" table. The assembly line quality assurance guy, the fifth guy in the process, stepped away to the bathroom having had a sketchy breakfast burrito, and the sixth guy came along on that busy day, assumed the rifle had been already checked 'cause he couldn't find the fifth guy (still in the bathroom due to the aforesaid sketchy breakfast burrito) and so the sixth guy got impatient and packaged the thing. In this whole mess nobody realized it was for a left-handed lock, and out there somewhere is some poor customer with a right handed flintlock with a barrel that has the touch hole on the left side.......... 🤣

LD

Nah..., what the guys did was mark the barrels and the stocks, then they took them apart. Another guy simply chunked the barrel into the machine, and completed the touch hole. The next guy installed the touch hole liner (if there is a touch hole liner). He then put the barrel on the "finished" table. A fourth guy reassembled the barrel into the stock having mixed up barrels, BUT unlike a caplock which is obvious, a flintlock has a mere hole, and he screwed up putting a right handed flint barrel on the left handed stock, and then put the rifle on the "ready to package" table. The assembly line quality assurance guy, the fifth guy in the process, stepped away to the bathroom having had a sketchy breakfast burrito, and the sixth guy came along on that busy day, assumed the rifle had been already checked 'cause he couldn't find the fifth guy (still in the bathroom due to the aforesaid sketchy breakfast burrito) and so the sixth guy got impatient and packaged the thing. In this whole mess nobody realized it was for a left-handed lock, and out there somewhere is some poor customer with a right handed flintlock with a barrel that has the touch hole on the left side.......... 🤣

LD
It is actually the correct barrel. Like I said in my original comment I contacted Traditions directly. Apparently the factory workers failed to line up the 2 little arrows (1 on the barrel, 1 on the breech plug) before screwing in the breech plug which made the touch hole end up on the wrong side. Once I found this out it was a pretty simple fix.

Attachments

• 20221122_114350.jpg
    20221122_114350.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It is actually the correct barrel. Like I said in my original comment I contacted Traditions directly. Apparently the factory workers failed to line up the 2 little arrows (1 on the barrel, 1 on the breech plug) before screwing in the breech plug which made the touch hole end up on the wrong side. Once I found this out it was a pretty simple fix.
GREAT!

LD

Back