• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TOTW Tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please, don't mock or belittle those that have a skill you feel is foolish or don't personally possess.

HUH?

I responded with my reference because of a query about "throwing away one's weapon", and thus my source showed it was a game. No mocking nor belittling took place. 😒

LD

C3E5F5E6-EDE2-488A-9A5C-90EC2989F37E.jpeg

Epic post, @Rató:rats ! There's our confirmation of tomahawks being thrown in warfare by the Cheyenne, although it must have been a challenge throwing that thing with the drop and streamers attached.

However, this is contradicted, at least for the Assiniboine, by Edwin Thompson Denig, a mid-19th century fur company employee and bourgeois at Fort Union. He married into the tribe, and wrote about them at length. His papers were recovered and edited by John Ewers, and published by the Bureau of American Ethnology in their Annual Reports. This is from the 46th Annual Report:

Denig, BAE 46 AnnRprt.jpg

That's fine print, and may be hard to read. Here is a detail of the pertinent statement, from about the middle of the page:

Denig, BAE 46 AnnRprt (2).jpg

My guess is that some people threw their tomahawks in battle and some didn't. We have documentation of both. Maybe it was tribal or cultural preference, or maybe individual choice... Hard to say.

In any event, that is a wonderful illustration, and there is so much to be seen in it. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back