• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Total BP "newbie" needs a little advise on shooting new Whitworth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@OP - please read your PM for address. Might be a good idea to watch capandball shooting his on Youtube. You don't get to be the national BP rifle and pistol champion for nothing.

I shoot a Gibbs rifle in .451 out to as far as 1000 yards. I can assure you that you will need platinum lined nipple or a whole box of steel ones. Shoot Black Powder only in it. Use Goex or Swiss 1.5fg or 2fg only. My rifle shoots a paper patched 535 grain bullet. The pressures can get out of hand with 3f or pyro when going to heavy loads for long range shooting.

My history book said that the Whitworths cost the Confederacy (My great-great Grand-daddy was General Jubilee Early, 28th Virginia Infantry) about $1000 in 1862 money, and the rifles were only sold with 1000 Swaged Lead Paper Patched bullets. Whitworth was very specific on ammunition, and from what I've read, didn't endorse cast bullets, only weighed, swaged bullets. My 'Echos of Glory' history book states they were accurate to 1500 yds, but not on what size target. Coffee-table book, not Library of Congress......so take it for what it's worth! Tinhorn
Semper Fi
1/1 1988-1991
2/11 1987-1988
Retired 1993

Back