• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Top ten most wanted in Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duke City = Alb... yeah Blake's has really gone downhill. Whataburger rocks... Mindshaft and Santa Fe Bite are some great ones if you want to spend your whole paycheck (but be deliciously satisfied).

Duke City = Alb... yeah Blake's has really gone downhill. Whataburger rocks... Mindshaft and Santa Fe Bite are some great ones if you want to spend your whole paycheck (but be deliciously satisfied).
Owl Cafe which is not too far from me is supposed to have really good ones, might have to check them out. Of course there's always Laguna Burger.

That's called a 2 way right?

RM
Steak and Shake had something similar, although the chili was more chili flavored and called it chili three ways.
I got this off a you tube vid of a chef that does a cooking show. He is in the east coast somewhere based on his accent and makes references to how he does it in his restaurant. Called it Cincinnati .I’ve never been in Ohio. This was tasty, I’ll make it again. But it tasted more like a Spanish or even Moroccan then anything like chili.

Last edited:
LOL. Funny Thread. Has anyone ever tasted two chili recipes exactly alike (except in a can) LOL. My Aunt had a green thumb. She would grow tomatoes and jalapenos then stew and can them in jars. They were sure great additions to the chili. She had a friend in CO that made a terrific chili powder mix. Unfortunately, both gone now. So I lost my resources.

I traveled Texas on business for 25+ years and stopped at Whataburger at least once each trip. Sure wish they had one in St. Louis.

Rick

I made Cincinnati chili. Got the recipe off You tube.
Onion Garlic, spices,( chili powder, cinnamon, all spice, oragano, bakers chocolate, ) beef broth, cider vinegar ,tomato paste, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ground beef.
Simmered for an hour or more served on ( may God forgive me) spaghetti
Topped with chopped raw onion and shredded cheddar cheese
Ok it’s not Chili, and I may not be able to enter Texas again but it was good eating
That's a 3 way. If you add diced onions or beans it's a 4 way, onions and beans is a 5 way. We eat it with oyster crackers and hot sauce.

Honestly, I'm not a big chili eater, I don't even like chili dogs all that much. That doesn't mean I don't like my spicy foods or my New Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes. As soon as I saw putting chocolate in chili that was one recipe I knew I would never try, just the tought turns my stomach.

Honestly, I'm not a big chili eater, I don't even like chili dogs all that much. That doesn't mean I don't like my spicy foods or my New Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes. As soon as I saw putting chocolate in chili that was one recipe I knew I would never try, just the tought turns my stomach.
It dose not taste like ‘chili’ especially with the cinnamon and allspice in it.
Howsomever bakers chocolate added to a beef made dish gives a bitter flavor that is real plus in the background

Well have you had the Mexican chocolate with chili peppers. Hot and chocolate at the same time.
We think of chocolate as a sweet, but the Mexicans made a bitter brew from it. As a savoy it adds a lot.
They say beer is not just for breakfast any more, well chocolate not just a sweet.

Well have you had the Mexican chocolate with chili peppers. Hot and chocolate at the same time.
We think of chocolate as a sweet, but the Mexicans made a bitter brew from it. As a savoy it adds a lot.
They say beer is not just for breakfast any more, well chocolate not just a sweet.
I prefer bittersweet chocolate but not with meats.......... Heck, green chili apple pie is huge in New Mexico but I haven't gotten up the courage to even try it and I've been in New Mexico for 5 years. Of course everything in New Mexico cusine has green chili in it or served with it......... Come harvest time the smell of roasting green chilis permeates the air. People set up roasters outside of grocery stores, buy your bag of green chilis then have it roasted before taking it home.
Here they offer human sacrifices to the God of green chili........
iu

Don'tcha just love the hyperbole? :D

I made Cincinnati chili. Got the recipe off You tube.
Onion Garlic, spices,( chili powder, cinnamon, all spice, oragano, bakers chocolate, ) beef broth, cider vinegar ,tomato paste, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ground beef.
Simmered for an hour or more served on ( may God forgive me) spaghetti
Topped with chopped raw onion and shredded cheddar cheese
Ok it’s not Chili, and I may not be able to enter Texas again but it was good eating.
Cincinnati chili is a standard in south west Ohio. You forgot to pile on the shredded cheddar cheese. Chili on spaghetti is on the menu as Frisch's. I developed a taste for Cincinnati chili when I was stationed in Wilmington, Ohio. My wife grew up there and hates it. Go figure.
There are two chain fast food stores that are based on chili, Skyline and Gold Star.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a Win-Dixie where I live that was selling Hatch chilli's for $.79 pound so I bought a bunch (fresh) and boiled down into a green chilli and frozen them like ice cubes.
ON THE RED. If you are getting dried red peppers- what's the best type? As I understand you "toast them, boil them, put them in a blender???

There was a Win-Dixie where I live that was selling Hatch chilli's for $.79 pound so I bought a bunch (fresh) and boiled down into a green chilli and frozen them like ice cubes.
ON THE RED. If you are getting dried red peppers- what's the best type? As I understand you "toast them, boil them, put them in a blender???
If they're dried you don't need to toast them and I've never boiled my peppers, ever. I do use canned Hatch green chili for some recipes. Dried peppers you can either put them in a recipe whole or grind them into a powder and sprinkle them in a recipe.

Bert says
Always toast your dried red chiles
On a hotplate
Then
Simmer in water, gently, for 20 minutes
Blend them (careful with the steam)
Add simmer water for consistency
'Fry' the chile, gently, in a little
Lard

The Buckhorn Bar and The Owl Cafe
Well known for green chile cheeseburgers
Across the road from each other
In San Antonio, NM

Jim in La Luz
😎

When I do green I roast and peel and then boil down a 50% green Jalapeno 50% green bell. No tomatillo. I like tomatillo but in other applications. Green goes well with chunks of white chicken breast. Same idea as cubed beef- a chunk of meat to sink y0our choppers into.

Sounds great, Red Owl!

You can also cube up a pork butt
Dredge in a seasoned flour
Brown in oil, with diced onions
(Laurel Mountain Forge not recommended)
Add green chile, crushed tomatoes

Simmer for 45 minutes

Add boiled and drained pinto beans

Salt, pepper
Comino and Mexican oregano
Monterey Jack cheese

Cornbread or