• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tooling for Discontinued Piata Models?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCrows

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone knows what became of the toolng for the discontinued models by Piata, like the Spiller & Burr or the Starr single and double actions? I am assuming that that tooling and drawings are still around but some companies are greedy and sell the tooling off for scrap and other such nonsense. It seems it would be a good idea for a company to make maybe a short run to apeal to new customers. If anybody has any information, I'd like to know the story.

Thanks,
ThreeCrows

Follow the money.

If Pietta thought they could sell enough of any of the revolvers you mention to make a decent buck, they probably would. The project would have to get past the Pietta marketing bean counters, and I believe that those revolvers were produced prior to Pietta converting to total CNC machining ~2002, which would mean retooling existing machinery adapted to CNC. If that happened, the price point of those guns would probably be much more than a buyer would pay (unlike the inexpensive CNC 1851 Navy "type" revolvers that they currently have). In addition, the Italian manufacturers have pretty much shut down production since Italy went into lockdown early in the pandemic, lifted restrictions some during the Summer, and are now back in lockdown due to the large surge in Covid cases. IMO, I highly doubt anyone is going to see any large availability from any Italian revolvers until the end of 2021, given the situation there.

Having said that, any Italian revolvers on the current market, to include used specimens, are going for more money than ever could have been imagined eight months ago. Either hang on to the revolvers you have or sell them at the somewhat exhorbitant prices currently commanded by the market, and then figure out how and where you can replace them inexpensively.. The usual dealers (EMF, Taylor's, Dixie, Cimarron, Old South, et al) are out of stock on most everything, and some items say "no backorder". That should give everyone a clue as to the situation in Italy and the future availability of these guns produced by Uberti and Pietta. IMO, Pedersoli is less affected because their guns are of much higher quality, and priced likewise, and are different market. Those three Italian manufacturers do not really compete in the same markets: Uberti manufactures revolvers that Pietta does not, and vice-versa. Pedersoli is in a different realm altogether and most likely has quite a few for sale if one wants to pay the price for their wares, and I am not downing that in the least.

To wit, pre-pandemic, the Pietta LeMat Cavalry Model sold for about $800 at Cabela's stores. Try to find one now, even from a private seller, for less than $1200.

I digress and apologize for that.

Regards,

Jim

I am curious to know if anyone knows what became of the toolng for the discontinued models by Piata, like the Spiller & Burr or the Starr single and double actions? I am assuming that that tooling and drawings are still around but some companies are greedy and sell the tooling off for scrap and other such nonsense. It seems it would be a good idea for a company to make maybe a short run to apeal to new customers. If anybody has any information, I'd like to know the story.

Thanks,
ThreeCrows

Why would selling off unused equipment be "nonsense", or make them "greedy"?

Latest posts

Back