• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tool supply - files

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bastards.

All I can find are bastards.

Seriously, I can find all the bastard files a person could possibly want, but I need a
6”single cut mill file
Where can I get one? I Certainly can't 3D print that puppy.

Just for the heck of it I did a search and found many 6" Nicholson Made In USA mill files on ebay. I also found the same size made by Bahco. Problem solved?

Finding the correct and durable SMALL files for specialty tasks is a lot harder than finding the big stuff (of the shelf). Don't be afraid to modify your files either. I had to do that to elongate the slots for barrel wedges. The slots are only 1/16" or so deep, and the files are thicker than that. I couldn't find one commercially made, so I took a narrow flat stock one and ground it thinner making myself one safe flat side, and 2 edge cutting sides. That task is about the only thing it's good for in gun making, but when you need a tool you need a tool.

Finding the correct and durable SMALL files for specialty tasks is a lot harder than finding the big stuff (of the shelf). Don't be afraid to modify your files either. I had to do that to elongate the slots for barrel wedges. The slots are only 1/16" or so deep, and the files are thicker than that. I couldn't find one commercially made, so I took a narrow flat stock one and ground it thinner making myself one safe flat side, and 2 edge cutting sides. That task is about the only thing it's good for in gun making, but when you need a tool you need a tool.
There are a plethora of files online made by Nicholson and Bahco. Both are trusted names. The local stores, e.g. Home Depot and Lowe's don't have much of a selection at all. On eBay I can find about anything I want at more than fair prices. I, as of yesterday ordered a 8" Nicholson flat mill file at about $6.00 shipped (brand new) from eBay. From eBay I purchased a dozen 4" Nicholson (not counting the tang) slim taper files for $12.00 shipped. Penn Tool Co. has a huge selection. One just has to look, that's all!

Back