• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tool question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Brokennock says is true. Without falling to far down a etymological hole, That particular punch is designed to produce one of the variations on a round braid lacing, all of which look something like this:

View attachment 95230

note how the leather goes around the edge creating a new one.

Stitching per se is usually a straight line, not lapping over the edge, with a few exceptions like a blanket stitch (not the only one). Here is a drawing showing stitches marked and punched with a angled diamond punch.:

View attachment 95231

Not the only use of the words as you can lace up your cod, unlace or lace a ladies bodice or corset, lace you boots etc. And lace itself in most of the Muzzle loading era will refer to a particular kind of decoration on military coats, and all the lacework found on macaroni type clothing and any dress clothing before the Victorian era.

The drawings are from Ron Edwards Bushcraft 8 Bush Leatherwork, 1984, The Rams Skull Press, Box 274 Kuranda, QLD, 4872, Austrailia

Now that I am standing up to my ears in that etymological hole, I need to pull myself out before someone fills it in,

I am Mad Michael.
You can lace a drink too,,,, lol

Please,, indulge us with some period examples or support for using lacing as opposed to a saddle stitch. You know, the saddle stitching that was being used for saddle and harness work at the time.

Spanish influenced leather work might show use of lacing. English, French, German, Dutch,,,,,, not so much.
I would say rather than period correct, maybe user correct. American Indian bags and clothing wasn't done with pricking irons or lacing irons,they were done with bone needles and sinew or leather lacing strips. This is more of what a lacing iron would be used to replicate rather than a saddle. It's a modern tool used to approximate an early American material binding method. You can see similar stitching details in Europe back to the medieval times when sleeved were regularly attached loosely as a cool weather option.

The wide is for long runs and the shorter ones are for going around corners, they all way down to two and even single point as well as varied spacing.
Now If you find and old Scallop Pinking Puch, THAT would be real find!!

Saddle stitch and lacing are both period correct going back at least to the 1500s may be farther. Most of the really fine lacing was attributed to the Spanish and some of it was truly beautiful.
Lacing is more of a function and aesthetics combination. Saddle stitching is more function and less aesthetics. Some stitching can be decorative.
The chisel punch shown in the OP is designed more for stitching, a lacing chisel has spacing a little farther apart and wider blades for the most part. A lacing chisel made for edge lacing generally has blades set at an angle to facilitate a braided type edge lace.

Two pricking irons, or stitching chisels. Not the best on the market but they work. 2 different numbers of stitches per inch with the higher number one also being of finer teeth thus smaller holes.
View attachment 95178View attachment 95179
Technically they are not even supposed to be punched all the way through the leather. They are to mark out your stitch spacing and guide you in keeping your diamond bladed awl oriented the seller throughout the line of stitching.
The awl is what pierces the leather.

Marks come out like this,
View attachment 95180
That is 2 presentations of the finer one in between a messed up one of the coarser on top and another coarse one on the bottom.
These are "pricking irons" The one shown in the first post is indeed a "lacing chisel." Pricking irons make uniformly spaced diamond shaped holes for saddle stitching. The Lacing chisel makes uniformly spaces "slots" or "slits" for inserting "flat lace." I own both and do not much care for the lacing chisels. I've been using pricking irons for 35 years. You can make your own with some old stainless steel table forks and 1/2" oak dowel. Not as good as manufactured, but perfectly serviceable. I'm no PRO leather worker, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:~)))) Here's links to help out. Item Detail
Here's images for "lacing Chisels."
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• 1632604354971.png
    1632604354971.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 38
Back