• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Too Used to Double Set Triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All of my muzzleloaders except one have double set triggers. Yesterday I took out my single trigger gun which I haven't shot in years. Using a set trigger is drilled into me. With the rifle raised and on target, my finger usually enters the rear of the trigger guard, moves forward, locates the set trigger and pulls it before lightly settling on the front trigger as I focus on the sights/target preparing to fire.

More than once yesterday I had to remind myself that there is only a single trigger on that gun. As I mentioned above, with the gun raised and on target, my finger automatically enters the back of the trigger guard then moves forward to locate the "set" trigger. I didn't realize how ingrained in me this is until yesterday.

That got me thinking about an incident related in a mountain mans journal. Two men had their rifles leaning against a tree when a grizzly suddenly charged them. One gun had a single trigger the other had a double set. In their rush they each grabbed the wrong gun. The "single trigger guy" was pulling on the set trigger with no result. The "double set guy" pulled what he thought was the set trigger, firing the gun before he was ready. I've read too many journals over the years and don't recall right now who wrote about this.

I've heard some pass this off as a "tall tale." I'm inclined to believe there's some truth to it. In a stressful situation you will perform the same way you train. To me it makes perfect sense that both men would not be able to operate guns they weren't used to effectively in a life or death situation. At the range yesterday I was calm and still caught myself several times automatically seeking out the set trigger. If I were being charged by a grizzly (which is a possibility here) I would almost bet that I would have fired that gun before I was ready.

I'm sure some will reply that you wouldn't use your set trigger in that situation. Of course you wouldn't need to use the set trigger. I would bet most people who use double set trigger guns would automatically use it without even realizing it. As I mentioned above, in a stressful situation you will perform the same way you train. I've seen this myself many times and know of other incidents that back it up.

Last edited:
The rifles that I shoot the most have double set triggers yet some guns that I use don't, On an Alaska black bear hunt I rounded the trail and there 30 steps away was the largest black bear I'd even came across. He turned from his food towards me and I shouldered the rifle and fired hitting him in the front upper leg bone. The cloud of smoke blocked my view so I side stepped off the trail. A split second later my companion came running. I can't say whither I set the trigger or not but the shot went true and no follow up was needed. No training would of came into play for me but if I was a one gun man then maybe I'd have a better story. :dunno:

I shot a rifle off a few weeks ago accidentally. Rifle pointed down range. At first I didn't realize what had happened. Single trigger gun.

Went to shoot a fox woth my double set. Had him all sighted touched the trigger. Nothing! Squeezed more. The trigger joticably movwd back. Still nothing. Brain started doing cartwheels.
Had not set it. Stuck between single and double set
Fox ran away

Fortunately I didn't accidentally fire mine but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! :thumb:
Made my mistake (first time) at a match in Montana. Had got frustrated with a rifle I didn't have the correct loading tools for so grabbed the fifty. Was a bit behind and trying to hurry up a little. Went to set the trigger while thinking about where that rifle hit last and kahboom!

I always hook my middle finger in the finger hook on my double trigger guns. I do have two single trigger guns. and I just needed the finger hook so I made my own.

Zgun2mL.jpg

When I have a double trigger gun it’s my favorite, when I have my single trigger guns it’s my favorite.
My SMR can’t cock unless my trigger is set.

RON, i remember when you did that. years ago i think, glad to see your still around. a man with much knowledge. hunt game way out their and gets them every time.

DADST's and DASST's retroactively installed would solve for the wrong action on the wrong gun.

Personally, if I were REALLY worried about grizzly's though I would rather have something than a ML'er to protect myself with.

DADST's and DASST's retroactively installed would solve for the wrong action on the wrong gun.

Personally, if I were REALLY worried about grizzly's though I would rather have something than a ML'er to protect myself with.

I was stating that I completely understood how the situation in the story I mentioned could happen. Being "worried about grizzly's" and carrying a muzzleloader for bear defense wasn't recommended or what was being discussed. :dunno:

Latest posts

Back