• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too much fire?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigger

32 Cal
Reaction score
BC341053-29FE-46CA-B061-18795C306A00.jpeg

This is as frozen frame of my Uberti 1862 Pocket Police at moment of firing. You could not see this in the video itself. New gun, 15 grains of fffg, lubricated felt wad, .380 Hornady lead round ball. I have other cap and ball revolvers but have never videoed any of them before. Looks excessive to me. Thoughts.

It's just powder burning off outside the bore , the barrel is shorter so even at 15gr probably only about 10 is burning in the chambers and barrel

It's not going to hurt anything, I took a video of me shooting a Dragoon at dusk and the big ball of fire can be seen.

10gr might not fully compress loaded on the gun, so if accuracy is good with 15gr I'd just roll with it

It's just powder burning off outside the bore , the barrel is shorter so even at 15gr probably only about 10 is burning in the chambers and barrel It's not going to hurt anything, I took a video of me shooting a Dragoon at dusk and the big ball of fire can be seen. 10gr might not fully compress loaded on the gun, so if accuracy is good with 15gr I'd just roll with it
This is me shooting my 50 cal trapper muzzleloader. I think you are good to go. View attachment 202751

Unburned powder is what we see in sparks exiting the muzzle & gap between the cylinder & barrel, for the most part. In guns that have no gap, unburned black powder will ignite as it exits the barrel with no damage to the gun. There are limits, of course, but as long as the projectile/shot load exit, the barrel will most likely stay intact.

Patches & wads might ignite, too, which adds to the pyrotechnic footprint. In my experience, pyrodex pellets sometimes don't fully burn inside a barrel, so you can see them flying downrange following the projectile for a bit. It's all great fun ..if you don't set the woods ablaze.

I wish there was a video of someone packing the base of a Minie with powder and sealing it with paraffin, making them into Tracers that leave smoke trails
I think the melted paraffin would kill the powder but aluminum tape might burn thru giving the effect you wish. The material used in road flares would probably be a better tracer material.

View attachment 202730
This is as frozen frame of my Uberti 1862 Pocket Police at moment of firing. You could not see this in the video itself. New gun, 15 grains of fffg, lubricated felt wad, .380 Hornady lead round ball. I have other cap and ball revolvers but have never videoed any of them before. Looks excessive to me. Thoughts.
Kindly note the fire at the breech. Showing why a loose cap=chain fire.
Other that that is an impressive muzzle flash.
hope you hit center
or set the target on fire
Bunk

I think the melted paraffin would kill the powder but aluminum tape might burn thru giving the effect you wish. The material used in road flares would probably be a better tracer material.
I heard about this from an old reenactor who said if they had a chance to live fire for the public, because back in the 70s and 80s things were loose and they could pretty much shoot their rifles into a berm or into a lake or something .....they'd make "tracer Minies" as a show for the people who came to the reenactment to demonstrate the Incendiary or explosive bullets that were supposedly experimented with during the war

Full load of 3f in a short barreled 44. You're fine, Kool picture! I have a few pictures like that, I'll need to try to get one of my 62 next.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-211345.jpg
    Screenshot_20221213-211345.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221206_133258__01.jpg
    IMG_20221206_133258__01.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
P-H Musketoon with service load - note the flash of the cap - note that it was not me shooting, and not my rifle either - I put the lid on my tin of caps when I'm shooting.

1678550796043.png

This IS my P-H Whitworth, though -

1678550943837.png

Latest posts

Back