• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too much detail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its often been said that a good pair of Knockers should be appreciated, but here you are with a wide range of them !
I assume that you have names for each of them, they too have feeling donchas know.....
Everyone in my club uses an old Lyman No.5 measure.
We cut rubber bands out of bicycle inner tubes to hold our knockers tight. It keeps them from flopping Willy-nilly.
F5CA0DBB-8070-43F3-ADEB-8878D87E518A.jpeg

I count every grain of Black powder (no matter what the grade) with a pair of hand carved wooden tweezers (authenticity matters), I'm still trying to get time to shoot though......
So I gotta know how many grains of three f are in a seventy grain charges. Are Swiss and GO the same sizes grains ?

So I gotta know how many grains of three f are in a seventy grain charges. Are Swiss and GO the same sizes grains ?
Theoretically all the different granulations should be the same no matter what make the powder is , These are the pass not pass sizes of grid opening for each grade
F pass .0689 not pass .0582
FF pass .0582 not pass .0376
FFF pass .0376 not pass .0170
FFF pass .0170 not pass .0111
There is a difference between all makes of black powder of the same granulation and even a difference between batches of the same make and granulation , Swiss is popular with ML target shooters because of its batch to batch consistency and it seems to be available internationally . I have found a big difference in batch/batch accuracy using Goex . I have never bothered to weigh my powder charges .

For new shooters "Just use volume measures". Ignore all the comments on scales and weight. Engineers and smokeless reloaders just have to involve weight comparisons and complicate a very simple process. VOLUME PERIOD! Even the manuals use the weight comparisons and complicate the very simple term of volume. The Forums are even worse. There should be a separate forum category for new shooters that only speaks of VOLUME MEASUREMENTS. It's hard to determine if even the volume measures are the same between Triple7 and Pyrodex because someone always has to throw in weight comparisons in every single discusion!

Sometimes I weigh all my charges and store them in these little vials. For some target matches. It's more accurate than the volume measuring devices I have. And come to think of it would be real handy to have a few in your pocket when hunting. Lot easier than wrastling a powder horn and measure when wind and cold are nipping at your nose.

glass vials in wood box.JPG

You have to use a "kicker" charge of superstition, that will help ignite the b.s.
If you use 4f under the b.s. and put the superstition on top it will backfire and blow the b.s. all over you.

and that is pure bs?!

I carry 5 balls , five plastic vials of powder , a strip of dry lubed patch cloth and a small priming horn in a pouch when I am deer stalking . I can only carry one deer at a time so why carry more shot etc

First a question, what width and length are your 3f grains ?
Last time I counted one of my 70 grain charges there were 76 grains, please be patient and I'll do another count......

" Are Swiss and GO the same sizes grains ? "
Probably the most unrecognised variable in Swiss and German powder grains are seasonal variations, eg when the Munich Beer fest has concluded, all uniformity goes out the back door.

Three things... ....
(1)
Everyone in my club uses an old Lyman No.5 measure.
We cut rubber bands out of bicycle inner tubes to hold our knockers tight. It keeps them from flopping Willy-nilly.

In the UK apart from "knockers" having a different meaning "willy" also does --- but somewhat apt when talking about "knockers" ;-)))

(2)
Dual loads were common for the offhand schuetzen shooters --- with a "priming charge" loaded before the main charge. Barlow's company produced a two-reservoir powder measure with the handle rotated UPWARDS to throw the smaller charge and then down for the main one. I will see if I can get into the attic to dig out one of this type to photograph.

(3) The main problem with much of this thread appears to be that people do not understand (a) the differecne between "granules" and "granulations" and (b) that people read the "calibrations" on the rotor as being actual WEIGHTS.

I did love the idea of someone using tweezers to count each "granule" individually ;-)

First a question, what width and length are your 3f grains ?
Last time I counted one of my 70 grain charges there were 76 grains, please be patient and I'll do another count......

" Are Swiss and GO the same sizes grains ? "
Probably the most unrecognised variable in Swiss and German powder grains are seasonal variations, eg when the Munich Beer fest has concluded, all uniformity goes out the back door.
Dang, my 3f looks like there'd be a couple of thousand "grains" in a 70 grain load.
Sure you're not counting cannon powder?

Let's put this to rest once and for all.

1. In the process of manufacturing, powder (black and otherwise) is made in batches aka "lots". Because of variables, powder differs from lot to lot.

2. In pursuit of accurate or safe ammo, load development is done by WEIGHT. Mass is mass, doesn't matter how big your measure is. That said with a caveat, keep reading.

3. Once a load is determined, ALL powder is measured by volumetric methods, in both black powder and suppository guns. That's a fact of how the majority of measures are made. Some competitors will dispense a set amount and then use a trickler to bring it up to WEIGHT and they're weighing each charge for maximum accuracy.

So virtually all charges, once the weight is determined, are dispensed by volumetric means. When loading match ammo, consistency is king and that means doing the same thing the same way each time every time. After I work up a load, match ammo is assembled using a volumetric measure but I check every 10th round to see if it's within my predetermined tolerance. Now for the fly in the ointment. Since powder varies by lots, if you change lots, you'll have to verify your load data all over again. I'd bet good money that 50gr of 3f by volume from lot A will weigh different from that of lot B. What does that mean? It means you're using more (or less) powder in your gun. If you're a competition shooter, that matters A LOT. Remember consistency?

Now for "the rest of the story". When we discuss accuracy and consistency, there must be a point of reference for any comment to mean anything. How many times I've heard- "I can hit a deer with my gun", so what, I can do that with a Ford or Chevy. Or, "I can hit a 12in steel gong at 100yds"- really, that just tells me your gun shoots 12in groups, sorry not impressed. In discussing things centering around accuracy, be specific. Group size, loading methodology, testing criteria, testing methodology all are very important. Otherwise, yer just plinking and having a good time. Not a bad thing, but it don't win any matches.
But you could say matches don’t bring home any meat,plinking is more akin to hunting,just hit yer target with whatever you got in yer gun however and wherever your standing or sitting Or sneak in’! Matches are ok but all thet figurin git’s to hunting my haid!

Sometimes I weigh all my charges and store them in these little vials. For some target matches. It's more accurate than the volume measuring devices I have. And come to think of it would be real handy to have a few in your pocket when hunting. Lot easier than wrastling a powder horn and measure when wind and cold are nipping at your nose.

View attachment 112225

Tell me more about your charge holder, please.

For new shooters "Just use volume measures". Ignore all the comments on scales and weight. Engineers and smokeless reloaders just have to involve weight comparisons and complicate a very simple process. VOLUME PERIOD! Even the manuals use the weight comparisons and complicate the very simple term of volume. The Forums are even worse. There should be a separate forum category for new shooters that only speaks of VOLUME MEASUREMENTS. It's hard to determine if even the volume measures are the same between Triple7 and Pyrodex because someone always has to throw in weight comparisons in every single discusion!
Volume measures are actually weight measures. Grains are measured in weight.

Back