• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Too much detail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it really doesn't make enough difference IMO. However, something that i think is worth a look is how these variations follow in much smaller charges. IOW, will it follow as a linear percentage OR will the actual weight difference remain the same? If it remains the same, the effect on consistency would be more significant. The only competitors i have met who religiously weigh charges are shooting pistols with very light loads.

Anyway, I won't be doing an experiment on it anytime soon, but would be interested in seeing results if someone else does it.
Just a guess, but I can only imagine that a greater volume allows for potentially greater variations in weight, but lower volume allows for variations that are greater as a percentage of the volume. If you have a .5gr or .75gr variation by weight in a 90gr volume, that variation will less of an effect than the same variation in a 15gr volume.

Weight or volume? Some people could mess up a two car funeral! I use the Volume method and never had a problem. I think I will weigh ten charges and see if there is a difference? I already know the answer. People with more experience than I have said it is hard to tell a difference in five grains of black powder, smokeless is a different ballgame? I don't know and I don't care . My muzzle loading rifle shoots better that I can hold it anyway.

I count every grain of Black powder (no matter what the grade) with a pair of hand carved wooden tweezers (authenticity matters), I'm still trying to get time to shoot though......

When dealing in competition shooting way back in the day we even wanted ammo made on a certain machine. When you used .22 cal targets rifles you were at the mercy of the ammo,no reloading! Black powder is so far removed from this it is funny. I don't know what target ammo sells for now but in the day we payed $15.00 for a box of 20. You bought ammo by the case just to get it from the machine you liked. I don't want to go through that hassle again. It is to anal for me now! This is one of the reason I chose Black powder. Now it appears that we are making black powder way to complicated to have any fun just like competition shooting was? I think we would enjoy our sport more if we all would lighten up just a tad!
[/QUOTE
Gotta love knockers!

Sadly there's no possibility of us having a dedicated thread to "Knockers" even if they're associated with Muzzle Loaders.

I count every grain of Black powder (no matter what the grade) with a pair of hand carved wooden tweezers (authenticity matters), I'm still trying to get time to shoot though......
For this task I forego period correctness for a genuine pair of Montana Dental Floss Rancher Zercon Encrusted Tweezers. They are non static, antimicrobial, antifungal, and gleam in the moonlight quite nicely.

For this task I forego period correctness for a genuine pair of Montana Dental Floss Rancher Zercon Encrusted Tweezers. They are non static, antimicrobial, antifungal, and gleam in the moonlight quite nicely.
Shock, Horror ! SURELY they must count as "unmentionables" ? ;-)))
Happy Covidmas.

It all depends on your desired results down range. If you want to make smoke and sound, dont even worry about volume, give a 3 or 4 second pour of powder down the barrel and you're good to go. If your trying to cut one hole then you better weigh each charge, each bullet, etc.

Accurate results demand accurate inputs.

Decided to offer a display of some of my favorite Lyman 55's with knockers. I have gained access to them by various means from numerous sources, most were used, one never touched. Before someone says it's utterly uncalled for to hord so many, I assure you it's handy to have them around.

Somewhere in time, likely shortly after receiving my driver's license, I received my 1st centerfire unmentionable. Later, I used my redding scale to verify the difference between flipping the knockers or simply leaving them alone. By every account, my results we not properly documented and have long since been lost, however if memory serves me correctly the results were similar to the posts above, with the proper handling of the knockers giving the most desirable end results.

20211230_203626.jpg

Decided to offer a display of some of my favorite Lyman 55's with knockers. I have gained access to them by various means from numerous sources, most were used, one never touched. Before someone says it's utterly uncalled for to hord so many, I assure you it's handy to have them around.

Somewhere in time, likely shortly after receiving my driver's license, I received my 1st centerfire unmentionable. Later, I used my redding scale to verify the difference between flipping the knockers or simply leaving them alone. By every account, my results we not properly documented and have long since been lost, however if memory serves me correctly the results were similar to the posts above, with the proper handling of the knockers giving the most desirable end results.

View attachment 111989
I don't look at every post on the forum but saw your attached pictureto your post and it brought a smile to my face and a ton of memories that had faded from my mind for a while. The most important part of your post was the quote from your father at the bottom of the page. It is evident that your father was a very wise man.

Hi, waarp8nt
One problem with an array of powder "throwers" has raised its ugly head several times --- when someone "forgot" what powder was in which hopper. Not too much of a problem with B.P., but very definitely hazardous with smokeless.
I will HAVE to refer to a "metallic cartridge" to give the worst scenario that we ever had at Bisley -- - and associated history from the 1870s.

The Remington rolling-block is considered to be one of the strongest actions -- when the French were testing it they muzzle-loaded service bullets down to the leed of the rifling and then loaded a case full of B.P. -- (poor memory but that was likely to have been in the order of 90 - 100 grains). They found that they could FILL the barrel with lead but the action didn't blow.
HOWEVER, we had one competitor in an Historic Arms Meeting who had several powder measures and by mistake loaded either Unique or Bullseye (my bad memory again!) --- the sides of the action peeled out like a banana, although the hammer stayed in place locked by the "rolling block". Luckily there was no firer beside him at the time.

I would resepectfully suggest that either measures should be emptied after each session or (more practical) the hopper is CLEARLY labelled with the name and batch of the powder in it. (No criticism intended -- just hoping to reduce potential risks.)

I never use a thrower ,For competition I do pre measure loads and put them in plastic phials as preloads . unless I am loading off my body .
When I buy a new lot of powder I buy one can then shoot it , if it is ok I check the batch number and buy up to 25 lb of that number .
If you tap your measure it is important to use the same number of taps , I do 3 with the back of a patch knife . Consistency is King .

View attachment 111989

Its often been said that a good pair of Knockers should be appreciated, but here you are with a wide range of them !
I assume that you have names for each of them, they too have feeling donchas know.....

I don't look at every post on the forum but saw your attached pictureto your post and it brought a smile to my face and a ton of memories that had faded from my mind for a while. The most important part of your post was the quote from your father at the bottom of the page. It is evident that your father was a very wise man.

Thank you for the kind words. My dad passed away in "09" and I miss him very much. Unfortunately, my dads friend Don passed, my father in law passed and my reloading / muzzleloading rifle building mentor William "Bill" Gentry passed all within a few years of each other. They were the men I looked up to for wisdom and guidance. I can only hope I set an example equal to theirs for my son and his friends.

One problem with an array of powder "throwers" has raised its ugly head several times --- when someone "forgot" what powder was in which hopper. Not too much of a problem with B.P., but very definitely hazardous with smokeless.
I will HAVE to refer to a "metallic cartridge" to give the worst scenario that we ever had at Bisley -- - and associated history from the 1870s.

The Remington rolling-block is considered to be one of the strongest actions -- when the French were testing it they muzzle-loaded service bullets down to the leed of the rifling and then loaded a case full of B.P. -- (poor memory but that was likely to have been in the order of 90 - 100 grains). They found that they could FILL the barrel with lead but the action didn't blow.
HOWEVER, we had one competitor in an Historic Arms Meeting who had several powder measures and by mistake loaded either Unique or Bullseye (my bad memory again!) --- the sides of the action peeled out like a banana, although the hammer stayed in place locked by the "rolling block". Luckily there was no firer beside him at the time.

I would resepectfully suggest that either measures should be emptied after each session or (more practical) the hopper is CLEARLY labelled with the name and batch of the powder in it. (No criticism intended -- just hoping to reduce potential risks.)

Hello Jim,

You are correct, the powder measures should be emptied for safety purposes, it can also save the clear plastic hoppers from discoloring.

I have run into the unknown powder issue the tall powder measure that has the load data labels taped to it, it came from my Uncle's estate and I had no idea what powder was in it. Rather than take a chance, I isolated the powder (better safe than sorry). Three of the measures are empty, the two with powder are for the following loads; 1) 20ga unmentionables loaded with a Ohaus 400gr hollow base muzzleloader projectile loaded over 16 gr of Unique powder 2) Set for mild handgun unmentionable loads in the form of 5.0 gr of American Select. The 20ga loads that were being used frequently for deer hunting until I switched to hunting with my .54 flintlock. It has been a while since I've loaded for and/or shot unmentionables, I really do need to empty the powder hoppers on those two Lyman 55's.

The Lyman 55 with the tall aluminum powder hopper is for black powder and I use it only for black powder as it has a brass sleeve around the main powder drum and an aluminum powder hopper to help eliminate the possibility of a flash point. I intend on using it for BPCR.

Safety 1st. Thanks for reminding me!

Back