• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tompson Center Tumbler repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobvenum

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I'm new to flintlocks in general and got a T/C .50 cal from a friend of a friend. I found the cock to be loose and decided to clean it up. Taking the lock out went well, and I stripped the lock down farther, including the cock. Upon removing the cock I noticed that what I am to understand is called a tumbler was split in half with some small pieces coming off. I assume this is a cast part.

Is there somewhere to replace or repair this tumbler part, or is there somewhere I can get part built of better steel?

Let's make sure you have the terminology correct. The tumbler is the part of the lock that has the half and full cock notches cut into it and it has square shaft sticking out of it that goes through the sideplate. The cock fits over this shaft on the outside of the lock.

iu

This part can possibly be repaired, perhaps one of our gun builders will chime in. My first instinct though would be to replace the part. I'm not finding any in stock at the usual places atm, however.

Tumbler - Original

Tumbler (Flintlock) | Gun Parts Corp.

Maybe someone can steer you somewhere that has them in stock. In terms of finding a higher quality part, you'd have to replace the entire lock with an aftermarket model.

Let's make sure you have the terminology correct. The tumbler is the part of the lock that has the half and full cock notches cut into it and it has square shaft sticking out of it that goes through the sideplate. The cock fits over this shaft on the outside of the lock.

iu
Yes, that's precisely the part. The actual squared off piece is the issue. It simply cracked in half at the point where the cock sits on it. It's weird because when I ran my fingers over the part still on the lock after removing the cock just crumbled.

Try. Thegunworks.com. I got the new style TC flint cock from them. They have some odd parts in stock. Suzi will know.

This part can possibly be repaired, perhaps one of our gun builders will chime in. My first instinct though would be to replace the part. I'm not finding any in stock at the usual places atm, however.

Tumbler - Original

Tumbler (Flintlock) | Gun Parts Corp.

Maybe someone can steer you somewhere that has them in stock. In terms of finding a higher quality part, you'd have to replace the entire lock with an aftermarket model.
That seems to be the common idea. But why replace the whole lock when I'm pretty convinced
Oh, and by the way, welcome aboard. :thumb:
Thank you for the welcome.

Also, thank of you who all answered, the normal places I would go for guns parts aren't usually set up for specific guns a majority of the modern gun buyer community would buy as an oddity piece and I would have no clue where to go. Thank you for the help.

" Upon removing the cock I noticed that what I am to understand is called a tumbler was split in half with some small pieces coming off. "

Could you be referring to the fly?

Just a word of caution
When you order a new one just make sure ,if you are right handed, get a right hand tumbler.
Makes logical sense 😂. Can't use a part designed to be on a mirrored design. But honestly looking at the T/C lock it's much different than a more period correct lock I have.

Makes logical sense 😂. Can't use a part designed to be on a mirrored design. But honestly looking at the T/C lock it's much different than a more period correct lock I have.
View attachment 57477
After looking at your tumbler, it sure is different.
1 st photo in a T/C factory tumbler
2 nd photo is a Lyman factory tumbler with the fly installed , 3rd is your tumbler

Last edited:
1st photo is a T/C factory tumbler.
2nd photo is a Lyman factory tumbler with the fly installed.
3rd is your tumbler, "Jacobvenum"
471587E4-D610-4F7F-915C-929671FC0F09_1_201_a.jpeg
0727FA30-0DE8-48CA-B5E6-570CCFA12268_1_201_a.jpeg
F445B670-BF5C-42B4-A6AF-568900939F74_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to chime in... I built a T/C Hawken 50 cal. about 45 years ago. The tumbler broke while shooting. At least back then, T/C had a lifetime guarantee on all parts. I sent the lock to the factory and a few weeks later it came back rebuilt. No charge.

Just to chime in... I built a T/C Hawken 50 cal. about 45 years ago. The tumbler broke while shooting. At least back then, T/C had a lifetime guarantee on all parts. I sent the lock to the factory and a few weeks later it came back rebuilt. No charge.
Ah yes. Those were the days. :)
Unfortunately, they aren't today's days.
When Smith & Wesson bought Thompson Center a few years ago, all of the old TC Warranties vanished. In fact, S&W doesn't have spare parts for the sidelock guns that were sold by TC.

On the bright side, TC sold tens of thousands of their Hawken rifles and people are parting out many of them to sell on the web.

Latest posts

Back