• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomorrow is flintlock eve here in Pa.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Pa. flintlock the deer season starts the 26th.....
How about the rest of you PA boys? Who is going out?

I can't miss it.....I wait for it all year long. It is absolutely the best deer season in the PA woods. Archery and rifle season are awesome too, but there is something about late muzzle season that is just special.

My son and I went out yesterday in the Tiadaghton State Forest and had a great adventure. We will have an evening hunt this afternoon and a small crew together for tomorrow. I have my hopes up for harvesting a nice 11 point that I know made it thru buck season. We will see how that goes as he has gotten pretty nocturnal.

Good luck to you all and Congrats to Logcutter on the nice doe harvest. Good shooting!

Marvelous. I love your hunting style, sit, move, hunt on your feet, stand, sit for with a tree behind you for as long as you care too, etc... Getting ansy in one place is my tendency, also. Those I've hunted on my feet while still hunting through the woods stay in the forefront of my mind, only behind those I've seen in a distance and stalked into range to shoot.
Keep us posted on your hunt from camp. Sounds like much fun.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm packed up and heading north. Be back on Sunday evening. And to everybody that's hunting something somewhere, good luck, good hunting!

Well done, Logcutter!

I'm still feeling the effects of the Shingles that hit me November 12th. Fighting a malaise now. Took a walk around the neighborhood, 1 mile, and was happy to sit down when I got home. I'm hoping to get out next week. I live in 2B, so I have till near the end of January, but I'd like to at least hunt a bit in the other 2 WMDs I have tags for.

Richard/Grumpa

Well done, Logcutter!

I'm still feeling the effects of the Shingles that hit me November 12th. Fighting a malaise now. Took a walk around the neighborhood, 1 mile, and was happy to sit down when I got home. I'm hoping to get out next week. I live in 2B, so I have till near the end of January, but I'd like to at least hunt a bit in the other 2 WMDs I have tags for.

Richard/Grumpa
Get well friend, soon.

B.

I went out this morning before first light. I went to a stand I felt might see some early morning deer moving. Got antsy at about 9am. and still hunted for a few hours.

At around 10 am. I saw a group of three deer about 100 yards out. To far for me to shoot and the cover was to thin for me to move closer. I decided to just hold tight and maybe they would come to me. No such luck. They were browsing the other way and were soon out of sight. I headed in for lunch at 11 and saw one more deer on the way in. Unfortunately it saw me as well and was gone.

Went back out about 1230 and it was not long before I saw a deer bedded down maybe 80 yards ahead of me. I saw its ears move and that tipped me off. The wind was against me here and I decided to cut the wind and move to my right and make a stalk from the other direction. That didn't work out as by the time I was good with the wind I had pretty much lost the deer's position and decided to just hunt on.

At around 2PM I was in a good place to just have a seat against a tree and watch till dark. But I didn't have to. I saw a deer maybe 60 yards out moving toward me at a walk. Then another and another until I could make out 5 deer. All does. I picked a big one and cocked my rifle. They continued to move in my direction. When the big doe I wanted was within 40 yards I pulled the set trigger and got ready to shoot. When she hit what figured was 30 yards at the most she saw me and froze. I let out half a breath, squeezed through the hair trigger and watched her flip over backwards through the smoke. A second shot was not needed. She fell right where I shot her. I took a minute to thank her for her sacrifice, and filled out my tag.

The drag from there was tough and not much of interest to tell. That's my second whitetail deer with a flintlock this season. I have one more tag. I got this deer hung up and skinned this evening. Ill finish processing tomorrow and when the meats all taken care of Ill be out hunting Sat.

This deer fell to a .50 cal. 490 patched round ball, .015 patch over 65 GR. of FFF. Shot from my Great Plains flintlock Rifle. This of course is the same load I use in my other flintlock that took the last deer.
View attachment 2371

It looks like the rain will hold off here until lunch time tomorrow in 4D. Should be a good morning.
I was surprised the other day that my pan powder turned to muck. No rain or fog, just high humidity I guess. I met my friend after a 2 hour sit, and he was also surprised his was wet too. He said the high pressure and high humidity did it. As a habit I refresh my pan regularly, and with the record wet this year I think it is a good habit.
Good luck guys.

got out today around 12.worked my way around our property looking for tracks. found 3 sets on the back side. followed them almost to the property line, then spotted them working their way towards me, but above me.at 50 yards one came into a opening, i set the trigger, cocked the hammer and leaned up onto a tree. thats when I noticed my front sight was missing! it was on there when I loaded it at the truck. kinda hard to aim, so I just shot to make them run. had to empty the gun anyway. switching guns for tomorrow, hafta take the Hawkins .50 cal.

got out today around 12.worked my way around our property looking for tracks. found 3 sets on the back side. followed them almost to the property line, then spotted them working their way towards me, but above me.at 50 yards one came into a opening, i set the trigger, cocked the hammer and leaned up onto a tree. thats when I noticed my front sight was missing! it was on there when I loaded it at the truck. kinda hard to aim, so I just shot to make them run. had to empty the gun anyway. switching guns for tomorrow, hafta take the Hawkins .50 cal.

That's a hard knock CC. Of course it would choose that time to drop off. The 50cal ought to do the job. Good luck, good hunting.

the .50 I built in the mid 1980's.it now has a green mountain 1-66 barrel on it. shoots them round balls real good!

WV just created this Heritage deer season this year that ran from this past Thursday until either Saturday or Sunday. It's only flintlock/percussion rifle and longbow or recurve-no crossbows or compound bows. I went out on public land and was trying to climb into my tree when a couple ran by today. Hopefully they'll keep it going next season and lengthen it.

Latest posts

Back