• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tomahawks vs hatchets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...that is the way that I interpreted it also...that he was using an idiom...but in doing so demonstrated how the word hatchet could be used interchangeably to reference a tomahawk. But...in this case he was talking about how the British regulars were changing their gear to be more effective in a new way of warfare...so he goes on to specify that they were wearing tomahawks. Just my interpretation..?...?...

Last edited by a moderator:
The British issued a "light Infantry belt axe' to the troops. it has a poll on the other side of the blade. I know for a fact that you can throw it and stick it in a target. the blade is about 4 inches wide and had a handle thats about 18 inches long or a bit shorter. It does not use a wedge. :v
Nilo52

vtbuck223 said:
I am currently reading "War on the Run" by John Foss...an excellent read so far. P.192 talks about the attempts to transform British regulars under Abercromby into an effective fighting force in North American conditions. There is a quote from the journal of a Dr. Huck in which he writes of the regulars..."many have taken up the Hatchet and wear Tomahawks"...in describing their equipment and appearance. Interesting that he seems to refer to them using both names in the very same sentence.

Maybe they had one of these LOL take your pick-

http://www.ambroseantiques.com/swords/1750tomahawk.htm

Scots Jim said:
vtbuck223 said:
I am currently reading "War on the Run" by John Foss...an excellent read so far. P.192 talks about the attempts to transform British regulars under Abercromby into an effective fighting force in North American conditions. There is a quote from the journal of a Dr. Huck in which he writes of the regulars..."many have taken up the Hatchet and wear Tomahawks"...in describing their equipment and appearance. Interesting that he seems to refer to them using both names in the very same sentence.

Maybe they had one of these LOL take your pick-
http://www.ambroseantiques.com/swords/1750tomahawk.htm[/quote]
Pick of what? It's two photos of the same ax.

Looks Viking. :confused:

I think he was referring to the wording used to describe it they call it a BeltAx Tomahawk
I still say the solder or frontiersman/farmer/militia dude was going to use what was available to him unless it was provided to him which was possible from what was written and maybe some carried both items.

Yikes...if that was stuffed into your belt...you may accidentally cut off something that you wouldn't want to....

The head resembles an axe from the middle ages...though I have seen many of this shape referenced to the early French inhabitation of North America

Proof that the Vikings did come to North America. :wink:

1750tomahawk1.jpg

Jack Wilson said:
Pick of what? It's two photos of the same ax.

Looks Viking. :confused:

As LHunter said,I was making a funny about the way the ID is worded. :grin:

Claude said:
Proof that the Vikings did come to North America. :wink:

1750tomahawk1.jpg

That was my thought when I read the dealers description and looked at the pictures. :grin:

vtbuck223 said:

I enjoy reading books that were written in our periods of interest, for me that is mostly 1750-1840. Words were used incorrectly and interchangably. And, a reader must keep in mind many of these writers were not well educated. Plus idioms changed with location, time and ethnicity. Frequently conclusions cannot be reached because the writer is actually using a different language than we do these days.

If you like that type book here's couple if you haven't already read them-

CLARK's Campaign in the Illinois in 1778-79 It even retains the original spelling used.Bought a copy off of the Log Cabin Shop I believe.ISBN # 0-405-02835-0

Narratives of the French & Indian War 4 period accounts of the war.Part of Leonaur Ltd.s Eyewitness to War Series.Consists of "Ranger Brown's Narrative","The Adventures of Robert Eastburn","The Journal of Rufus Putnam",and the "Orderly Book and Journal of Major John Hawks on the Ticonderoga-Crown Point Campaign".

Medieval thats funny it's all about marketing! The last book I read on period times was about Lewis Wetzel

Scots Jim said:
If you like that type book here's couple if you haven't already read them-

CLARK's Campaign in the Illinois in 1778-79 It even retains the original spelling used.Bought a copy off of the Log Cabin Shop I believe.ISBN # 0-405-02835-0

Narratives of the French & Indian War 4 period accounts of the war.Part of Leonaur Ltd.s Eyewitness to War Series.Consists of "Ranger Brown's Narrative","The Adventures of Robert Eastburn","The Journal of Rufus Putnam",and the "Orderly Book and Journal of Major John Hawks on the Ticonderoga-Crown Point Campaign".

Thank you. Since I bought my Kindle I have several interesting titles downloaded waiting for me to read them. And they were free.
I have read "Longknife" the historical-fiction account of Clark's campaign to Vincennes. I also have read several synopsis of the event. All very compelling. Makes me even more proud of the riflemen, the real ones, who preceded us. I incorporated their spirit into a novel I wrote titled, 'The New Rifleman'.

While looking thru catalogs I found the "medieval throwing axe" that was identical to the " Cherokee tomahawk" at another website. Buyer beware... :hmm:

Link

I just used the photo as an example. The one I have is an artifact and much, much nicer. The tip of the spike at the rear is broken off that is all. I hope I hope it was not stolen from me. I'll have to look for it again. Describing it does no good without a photo. For some reason I had always assumed it was from Great Lake area natives but I really do not know.

Back