• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tomahawk Touch-up and Handle Material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to replace the handle on my Cold Steel tomahawk. I have some oak, I think white oak. Would that work, or is it too brittle?
I did the carving below on the original handle with my Swiss Army Knife years ago, but the handle cracked and split with regular use.

MyHawk.jpg
MyHawkDetail.jpg

Also, any examples/advice on making that hawk head look a little nicer? Particularly the hammer part on the back.
Do I have to anneal the steel? Is it even worth it?
Thanks!

There are several species of white oak, but generally it is tough and hard, not brittle. Red or white ash and hickory would be a better choice though. Take a file to it and if it bites, you won't have to anneal it. Whether its worth it or not is your call, myself, I always like to add my own touch to things, even if I didn't make them.
Robby

Agree with the white ash or hickory recommendation. However, keep in mind one of the first rules of tomahawk life. 'the prettier you handle, the sooner it will break'. After a couple heartbreaking losses you will end up like me using plain ole replacement handles.

Looking to replace the handle on my Cold Steel tomahawk. I have some oak, I think white oak. Would that work, or is it too brittle?
I did the carving below on the original handle with my Swiss Army Knife years ago, but the handle cracked and split with regular use.

View attachment 46706View attachment 46707
Also, any examples/advice on making that hawk head look a little nicer? Particularly the hammer part on the back.
Do I have to anneal the steel? Is it even worth it?
Thanks!
Go to your local hardware and purchase a Hickory handle for any hand tool that meets approximately the size you need. Nicer? What does that mean?
If you want to re shape, then you need a grinder and it does not care if the steel is hardened. Yes, it is worth it, if you don't like the way it is.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Went to the hardware store and nothing. I am seriously thinking of using the oak scraps I have.
Still need to determine if I need to anneal the hawk head.
If so, I'll look up some videos on how to do that, and it'll give me an excuse to build myself a little mini wood forge!

PS

Any ideas on making the handle stronger?
I read somewhere that submerging it in something like linseed oil for a few days makes it practically unbreakable.
I live in AZ and I think the dry climate makes the wood more prone to cracking.

Back