• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tomahawk Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Assuming you are allowed by law, is anyone good enough with a tomahawk to hunt rabbits with one?

That would be something...

If it were only small game you only have to klunk them with it. When we were kids we used to make a throwing stick. We always looked for a branch with a Knot in it, and then cut it back from there. The knot added enough weight that it would spin nice and fly well...

When I was a youngster I once took out a quail with my great grandfathers walking cane. I had broke it in half from rough usage the handle part was a knot...wish I still had that old stick! Made a great boomerang!

For small game I believe a throwing stick would work much better than a hawk...so did the Native Americans!

Therefore a small mouse hawk or lady's hawk would be better for throwing at critters :imo:!

Chuck

got a rabbit with a frog spear on a 8 foot bamboo stick at bout 25 feet once when i was 14...........................bob

I had a neighbor that would hunt rabbits with a adjustable wrench. He would find rabbit sitting in thicket and walk past it about 30 feet, then turn around and walk back the same way. The rabbit would stay put and he would throw the wrench and most time hit it and walk over and dispatch it. Rabbits normally are pretty fragile. I've had one or two faint after I startled them. <--- insert joke here (my looks, smell, appearence)

S'Poke

I've had one or two faint after I startled them. <--- insert joke here (my looks, smell, appearence)

The stunning ain't so bad. It was worse trying to clean them before you took to wearing the sack over yer head. They was too tore up then.

aga_pirate.gif

Where's Master Hewitt when you need him.....

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Hawks are mighty hard to throw at a ground level target. The rotation always has the handle striking the ground in front of the critter and bouncing over its head!

Throwing knives!! That's the way to go on rabbits! :thumbsup:

What do you mean "if it were allowed by law"? You mean there's a law agin' it?

What do you mean "if it were allowed by law"? You mean there's a law agin' it?

Hunting laws are not standard from state to state, you know that... :winking:

Not sure if there's a law against it, just covering my butt on the opening question...

I suspect that a feller could hunt rabbits with a tomahawk during any rabbit season without a hitch. I don't know any game warden that would think for one second that the mess of cottontails in the back of your truck was taken by a throwing hawk!!!!I'd hate to have to feed my family like that.

I use a throwing stick made of hickory and about 30" long. One thing I do is to whistle or make some kind of small noise to make the rabbit stop if its on the run. I've gotten withing almost 15' of one, but didn't have my throwing stick. For squirrels that are on the back side of it a tree, I use a couple rocks and throw them on the other side of it to make it come around to my side.

A would think a tomahawk would think throwing a tomahawk thrown side-arm would work pretty good.

Pare-

O.K. musketman. I've seen some pretty silly questions, but this'ns a dandy silly one.
If the only hunting tool I had was a hawk why in the world would I be dumb enough to throw the thing at a rabbit and risk loosing or breaking it?!
I'd use the hawk to whittle out snares and deadfalls and use the sharp hawk to skin the thing (as if you needed a tool to skin a rabbit) and chop firewood to cook the thing on.
Doubt I could think of any situation where throwing your weapon would make the situation better.

I've been wondering that but (out of character) I've kept quiet. I've killed animals with billiard ball sized rocks and am a LOT better at throwing them than my hawk.

I have used the poll of my hawk, or the spine of my rifleman's knife, to deliver the coup de grace to wounded small game.

As you say: once you throw it, it becomes somebody else's weapon.

A friend who lives near-by, became disenchanted with his bow hunting, not being much of a challenge for Deer, Bear or Moose, all of which he took each year, with his bow.
: He borrowed a Cheyenne Spear(I think it was a Cheyenne Spear) from my Brother, who makes al sorts of primitive weapons like that, practised with it all spring and took a black bear with that spear. He threw it from a distance of about 10 feet into the chest of the bear. The spear point exited it's groin area and actually took both lungs on it's way through. The entrance hole was 5" across, and the exit slash was a full 10" wide, due to the hide stretch. The bear collasped on it's next step. A good thing, as his 8" belt knife was all he had left.
: That hunt was fairly PC- there was no archery in this area with the Indians- only spears.

Like I said, he had a belt knife - THAT's exciting hunting, eh? It is unlikely a wounded black bear would attack- especially when being frightened in that manner, by having a 7'speer run through him.
; Bob said later he was having trouble making up his mind to throw, instead of running it into him. There was no cross-tree on the speer, so he threw it.

Like I said, he had a belt knife - THAT's exciting hunting, eh?
That's exciting. I guess my idea of a plan b is a little different. Belt knives are much farther down my list.
I could see a bad hit POing the bear and him charging.

Where I live we do a lot of wild hog hunting. Some guys kill 'em with a knife. You need dogs keeping the hog busy. I always wondered if the job could be done with a tomahawk but I am sort of concerned because if the hog moves and you miss there's a good chance of driving the hawk into your leg. Has any one heard of using a hawk on a hog? :hmm:

Well, now that Daryl has brought up the subject, here is the fellow who has really spear hunted:

http://www.huntingwithspears.com/

i've actually joked about doing it, or using an atlatl:

http://www.worldatlatl.org/

since the time i was caribou hunting and the longest shot was 20-25 yards; [if you sat still they walked around you on either side, less than 5 yds away] could have done it with a spear; but the fellow above has even gotten cape buffalo; check out his hunting photos! there's one fellow with the park service that i know of who uses the atlatla and probably lots more; moose with a matchlock seems downright tame compared to this.

Back