• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tom Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had this bird at 25 yards in the woods ,but there was to much buck brush between the bird and me . He strutted out of sight into an open pasture ,he would not come back to me so I crawled out to the edge of the woods and could see that he had hens and another tom with him . I just sat down and started to call and the hens came running straight at me closely followed by the tom's, my heart was about to jump out of my chest, at about 30 yards I aimed at the head of the lead tom and only heard a dull thud ,I switched to the left hand barrel and it took him cleanly . I have been hunting these birds for over thirty years and I still get pumped when they are close . Tom

Awesome Sooner. They sure do something to a guy don't they?

What happened with the dull thud??? :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

Thanks for sharing and congrats, Skychief. :thumbsup:

Skychief I guess the cap fell off . I put another cap on later and it went bang ,so it was me not the gun . That 12 goes bang every time if I do my part . Tom

The loudest sound that I have ever heard Tom, was, my hammer falling on a dud cap during a Fall hunt as my bead was covering a juicy hen's head years ago!

Talk about shocking. :shocked2:

Congrats! :hatsoff: And quick recovery to "remember" that you had a second barrel attached to that front-stuffer! I've read some stories where the shooter was so surprised by a misfire that they forgot to pull the other trigger.

I never used to check caps, but one time I was loading up a bunch into my cash capper and my son-in-law said "hey...that one's empty." Sure enough, empty cap. Now I check every one...of course since I've pretty much gone flint now, it's a moot point! :wink: :grin:

Spikebuck said:
Congrats! :hatsoff: And quick recovery to "remember" that you had a second barrel attached to that front-stuffer! I've read some stories where the shooter was so surprised by a misfire that they forgot to pull the other trigger.

:doh: That happened to me last year. I was using my double flint and got a klatch. I don't shoot the double very often and am used to my single barrel, so my first thought was to pull the gun back, check the flint, and then I tried again. Never gave a thought to the second barrel :rotf: .

Back