• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Toilet bowl wax ring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I found a new toilet bowl wax ring and want to try it for my Minie's. For those of you that have/had used the stuff can you give input? The first thing I notice is that the stuff is "very sticky". I did take about 1/3rd of the ring and melted it with a 1" square of parrffin wax which did stiffen it up a bit but still it is a bit sticky. Also have any of you tried this stuff in your revolvers to seal the chambers?

Those used to be made of pure beeswax but reports are that is, or may not be, the current situation. I wouldn't use it for ml purposes. Beeswax is not hard to obtain. Contact your county extension agent and ask for names of local beekeepers. Some will give, or sell very reasonably, their wax. To many it is an unwelcome by-product of beekeeping and harvesting honey. You can usually 'sweeten' the deal by offering to buy some of their honey.

Moonman76 is right, toilet bowl wax is not bees wax any longer. However,one of our members, I don't remember who at the moment, wrote about using toilet bowl wax and it working quite well as a bullet lubricant. According to him, he used it straight, just melted it and dunked his bullets in it. He said it worked quite well but I don't remember him saying anything about using it in a revolver. Perhaps he did, I just don't remember. But, if it worked well as a bullet lube in a rifle, I see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine in a revolver. I hope he jumps in here and lets us know his experiences with toilet bowl wax rings.

Googling the MSDS of toilet bowl wax ring show its ingredients as non harmful petrolatum...petroleum jelly. I would burn a small amount of it with a torch in a metal container. That way, you can see if the residue can be cleaned from a barrel. If it. Works, go for it. :thumbsup:

IowaShooter said:
Grumpa said:
Some fellas used the old, beeswax rings for moustache wax...But I'm not going there! :shake:

Was that BEFORE or AFTER using it on the toilet.

What a silly question :idunno:

The correct answer is AFTER, since you'll be replacing that old crusty, leaky one with the brand new ring, and need to 'recycle' the old one :rotf:

I guess my only real concern with using a modern toilet bowl seal ring for a lube on your Minie's bullets would be from the dirt and dust it will pick up.

If the lubed bullets are kept in a clean container there wouldn't be a problem but if they were tossed into a sack or cloth bag any dirt that might be around will become stuck to them.

Dirt was always my concern regarding the open hole in the buttstock of many southern style longrifles. Just another use for the word "True Grit". Now most of us ole buck skinners being the frugal folk that we be, would not be the least bit shy of recycling the wax from an old used toilet ring seal. It would just create another post about how one would get the smell out of our hands! :blah:

:hmm: Well oleFord, you sure do have a good point there! It would just about guarantee a "gut shot" no matter where you hit that animal. "Hey Grandpa....what's for dinner?" "E-Coli stew with corn bread and turnip greens"....mmmmm mmmmm :stir:

I have some "Ballets" cross between a round ball and a slug.They have a lubricant on them that collects everything they get near,dust,sand,everything,,and sticky to boot. as for the TB Seal,the muzzle blast and trip down the barrel should clean it?????

Years ago I had a small cache of nearly new toilet rings (yes, they are sticky!), which I converted to a BP lube: Emmerts. It worked well enough even though those rings are no longer beeswax. Emmerts, btw, is very easy to make and soft enough to use by hand or in a lube sizer.

Thanks all for the replies -- I think I will trash the toilet bowl wax ring idea. I got a little over 10 pounds of clean bees wax and I don't want to waste any of it on something that "might work". I don't like the "sticky" texture of the toilet ring and fear that it could crust up in the bore after shooting the Minie. So it's off to the garbage but I did read that it makes a fine fly tying dubbing :grin: :grin: .

Back