• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today's Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last day for bucks in Tn, it is does only until the season closes next Friday. I gave it one more try this morning, it was 18 degrees but I have my clothes layering system in place to stay warm.

I hunted a new blind for the first time but no deer showed up. The new blind is the one with a chair, I like to be comfortable on long sits. The other blind is one I threw up in a hurry that has future possibilities. Both are for watching trails to and from a soybean field.

4RVAgL9.jpg

QTm7V8x.jpg

I stayed in my blind until 11:00, then walked back toward my truck slowly checking out the grown up fields on my way. I topped one hill and several bedded deer got up right in front of me and ran off, no shot opportunity.

I looked across the small hollow and saw antlers sticking out of the sage grass, huge antlers. The buck was bedded about 80 yards away on the hill side. With all the commotion of the deer running off he stood up, without a doubt the biggest buck I have seen on the property. Not too wide but very, very tall antlers, at least 18", long tines and heavy mass. I could check him out well with my binoculars.

80 yards with a 15 mph cross wind, I was next to a big bushy cedar tree and had nothing to prop my 42" barreled gun on for a shot. A 15 mph cross wind can move the point of impact of my .54 ball 7 to 9 inches to the right, I am a lousy off hand shot, I haven't shot my gun past 50 yards and don't know how much bullet drop I would have at 80 yards. Common sense prevailed and I let him go.

I tried to take a picture of him but when I turned my camera on it did a typical wherr, click start-up. The buck heard the noise and skipped off, turned out he had three lady friends with him.

Sorry you didn't get him or her but at least you know he's around and something to look forward to come next season. Dan.

I had a spot one time where I had a blind just like in your picture, only I just sat on the ground on a cushion. There was enough gap in the logs to easily see through and I could also poke my gun out and shoot through them. Deer never saw me in there. I killed quite a few out of it over the years. Then the farm leased out and I've never been able to hunt it since. I did walk by it once last year and it was basically rotted away, but it lasted a long, long time and was well worth the effort to build it.

Eric, let me commend you for a job well done. :thumbsup:

You weren't sure and didn't pull the trigger. Many other "hunters" would have.

Well done. Hope you cross paths with him in a few months!

Best regards, Skychief :hatsoff:

I have hunted this land for over 10 years, it went up sale in the last month or so.

If you have and extra 849K the 340 acres and house could be yours. I have spent the last 10 years developing it's hunting potential.

You done the right thing Eric. :thumbsup: Maybe the land won’t sell and you can get another chance at him next year. :hatsoff:

I have been the caretaker of the land for over 10 years, I have a tractor and everything that has been done to the land I did.

I am going to tell the friend that owns the land to mention my "caretaker" position to the new owner and mention that I work for free and only want permission to hunt the land.

Here is the land, delete my post if the link is a no-no. I made all the plots and half of the roads.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/418-Mount-Nebo-Rd_Iron-City_TN_38463_M76274-97394

Last edited by a moderator:
You did the right thing. Sometimes it sucks but you knew the right thing to do. :thumbsup:

I invited my best friend of 35 years to hunt the land, he had killed over 300 deer in his lifetime so I thought he would be an ethical hunter.

Immediately he started wounding deer with his bow, he never practiced so his bow skills were minimal.

We hunt with sidlock M/L, I even sent his Renegade off to Bobby Hoyt to be re-rifled. I could tell he wasn't into black powder but hoped he would adjust, he didn't. I couldn't get him to practice with his Renegade, I ended up working up a load for it and sighting it in.

A couple of weeks ago he wounded a 140 class buck one day and came back 2 days later and wounded a 160 class buck.

I came to find out he fell apart on any deer kill and started throwing lead as soon as he saw antlers. This might work OK with a scope but definitely didn't with an open sighted sidelock.

I finally decided to pull the plug and told him he had to shape up or ship out. He had wounded at least 8 deer at this point.

His response was; "I am sick you, the land, your rules and I never want to see you again". Good riddance. Some guys can't admit to a shortcoming and will deny it with their last breath.

Eric Krewson said:
I invited my best friend of 35 years to hunt the land, he had killed over 300 deer in his lifetime so I thought he would be an ethical hunter.

Immediately he started wounding deer with his bow, he never practiced so his bow skills were minimal.

We hunt with sidlock M/L, I even sent his Renegade off to Bobby Hoyt to be re-rifled. I could tell he wasn't into black powder but hoped he would adjust, he didn't. I couldn't get him to practice with his Renegade, I ended up working up a load for it and sighting it in.

A couple of weeks ago he wounded a 140 class buck one day and came back 2 days later and wounded a 160 class buck.

I came to find out he fell apart on any deer kill and started throwing lead as soon as he saw antlers. This might work OK with a scope but definitely didn't with an open sighted sidelock.

I finally decided to pull the plug and told him he had to shape up or ship out. He had wounded at least 8 deer at this point.

His response was; "I am sick you, the land, your rules and I never want to see you again". Good riddance. Some guys can't admit to a shortcoming and will deny it with their last breath.
Sad.

Eric Krewson said:
Here is the land,

Took a look, just for fun. What a super looking place. Even has water...a key feature for any serious Whitetail habitat.

I see Whitetail Properties lists it and unfortunately, they market a lot to the hunting community.

I truly wish you the best in being able to stay on it. Looks like you've really done a fine job making it into the best hunting spot it can be.

Mike

Eric, you at least know where that buck lives, now.

I have a very portable, folding canvas chair I carry with me into the bush; it's so comfortable I sleep very well in it. :snore:

You are well shed of that "friend", by the way.

Yesterday was the last day of season in Tn. I have been almost every day this past week but only saw two does, I could have taken an 80 yard off hand shot but I decided to let them walk. Like I said before, my off hand shooting sucks, gotta' work on that before next season.

Alabama season runs until Feb 10th but I don't have a good place to go.

I was going yesterday afternoon but went to the Alabama Longrifle show in the morning and had such a great time talking to lots of the folk I have only seen online I stayed at the show until 2:00.

The temp was dropping, it was snowing and 24 degrees with about a 20mph wind when I got home. I thought, warm house or braving the wind and cold on a hilltop in the woods, the house won.

After being around so many longrifles all day, I made popcorn, pulled up HBO on demand and watched The Last Of The Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis, great flick.

Eric good for you , it doesn’t sound like the Guy was a true Friend to start with.

Good riddance .

Hopefully the Bucks he shot will survive. :shake:

Latest posts

Back