• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today's fun with the Plains Pistol. (and wax biscuits)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I did a bit of experimenting today. Thought I would try some light loads, and as you can see 40 grains of Goex fffg, (one shot was with 30) didn't do so "great". However this was 32 yards, and shooting casually from a lawn-chair, using my knee for a rest. No shots left the paper plate, and of course would group better from a bench and sandbag, at a more normal 20 or 25 yard practical pistol type distance.

Switching to 50 grains of ffg Swiss, things tightened up. I changed up a lot of variables, she shoots right on and accurately with with 60 grains of fffg Swiss, wonder wad, and wonder lube patch, or with slug. I ran out of Swiss fffg, so was using Goex. I used a wax "biscuit", which is a wonder wad dipped in hot wax. I also used mink oil instead of wonder-lube.

Fouling was minimal with the fffg, a little more with the ffg. I wiped between shots, two wipes, one wipe then flip cleaning patch over, wipe again, then dry patch. Fired patches were in perfect condition, and I used two that I found on the ground a second time. I found one patch with the biscuit stuck to it, but had obviously separated from the ball normally. I found one biscuit on the ground, still in a cup-shape, from being kind cupped around the ball. (or bowl shaped)
DSC06914.JPG
DSC06917.JPG

My first shot was the load that had been in the gun since the beginning of last hunting season, a ball over a wonder wad, and 60 grains of Swiss fffg. The load had absolutely gone "soft", and had less recoil than subsequent 40 grain loads. This is why I'm on the quest for the wax biscuit, as I don't believe pure wax will contaminate the powder. Anyhow, was fun, and I believe the wax biscuit will work.

Rat
I like your grip rap .What kind of tape are you using? Cloth wrap or double tacky type tape? I like a man who experiments just for FUN .,
DL

That's bow-handle wrap. Totally won't come off, or shift around. Any traditional archery supply has it.

Back