• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today's beautiful find.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely agree with everyone. Very nice figure in the wood. And aren’t the TC rifles legendary for sure fire ruggedness? I’ve never shot one.
I have a TC from 1979 that has been used to train others for 30 years and my go to for almost everything. Replaced barrel with a Green Mountain 32" barrel RB 1 in 62 when the first wore enough to need some rerifling

Was in Gun shop this morning eyeing the racks for telltale ramrods when I spotted the unfired T/C WMC with extra fancy wood. Took it home😉View attachment 84420View attachment 84423View attachment 84422
My son in law found a never fired TC 54 for me about 8 years ago. Orginal owner had tried and could not get it work, even after using entire tin of caps,, and no gunsmith would touch it. It sat in his closet for over 10 years until my son in law saw it and mentioned that I fussed with them. I told son in law I would cover anything up to orginal price paid. The gentleman wanted 50. He had not cleaned barrel before loading and it sat for all those years with powder and patched ball. He even threw in the can of 2f he had purchased. I removed nipple, used pick to work some powder in then successfully remote fired it.

They are out there to stumble across once in a while

Nice find and pretty wood. Wonder about grain configuration at the wrist. I own one and it has taken three big game animals with three shots. Using round ball. Not happy with how it performs with conicals. Mine is .54 caliber and I use 70 grains of FFFg, .015 patch and .520 round ball. Have you shot your .50 cal. yet?

Trigger on my White Mountain Carbine is really rough. Could stone sear but thinking about replacing single simple trigger with a double phase, single set trigger. Looked at an L & R replacement lock. Very expensive and there is a fly in the tumbler for the TC lock. Not sure my single set trigger will trip the sear on set mode. Was trade from Ron Long for deposit on rifle barrel he never got a chance to make. Anybody there do any successful trigger or lock replacements on WMC? Not able to find drop in barrels from Green Mountain for very fast power belt or slower round ball twists. Would have to replace trigger guard and re inlet for a double set trigger and would go better than a TC Hawken set.

For a factory run of the mill, that is very nice indeed! :thumb: Now, how much did it cost?

The factory was at Perry, KS. Look on Google. Earth and find Perry, look for the old highway running through town and locate the bridge on the west side. The mill was just east of the bridge an a bit north of the highway. I applied for a job there once. They had some exceptionally beautiful stocks hanging on the walls. However I was told they did not ordinarily sort out the most highly figured ones, but sent them all to be assembled back east. There are bound to be some darned nice T/C stocks like this one out there. It's a real find.

Yes, that is one beautiful piece of wood on a rifle in mighty fine shape, alright, a real treasure and it is easy to see how tempting such a piece of wood on a rifle might be at first, but just hope you don't take a fall when carrying it, or that it gets knocked over accidently while leaning up against a shooting bench! I hate to rain on someone else's parade, but I share the same concern as beardedhorse and only want to warn you of the potential problems poor grain layout like this can cause in a gun stock. The annular rings (growth rings) appear to run directly across the wrist and not along it, like they should for proper grain layout for a gun stock. Annular rings are the weakest part of the wood and have the highest concentrations of pores, making them less dense than the more solid areas between the rings. A stock with grain layout like that is likely to snap completely in two along one of those ring lines with surprisingly little pressure. I have repaired many such stocks that were completely broken-in-two across the wrist with similarly poor grain flow. Note also that the forearm likewise has annular rings that run across it at an angle, where the ring lines should run along it for strength and stability. IMHO, this is a great example of a wonderful piece of wood that should never have been made into a gunstock, but should have been cut into bowl turning blocks or pen barrel blanks instead. Just be very careful with it and you'll be fine!

Kansas Volunteer, it is fascinating to read the wood on my TC Hawken kit I built in the 1970s came from a mill just 50 miles up the road from where I live now. I bought it in Seward, NE at a local gun shop. It had a nice piece of walnut but not as pretty as the one above. I still have it and it will go to a grandson.

Every once in a while a T/C will show up with premium walnut. I found one, a Hawken in .45 on a website a few years ago.
I'll never sell it. I also found a custom shop Hawken with walnut like that. They really stand out.

Back