• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tobacco carrot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudnut

50 Cal.
Reaction score
what would the dimentions of a linen and twine wrapped tobacco carrot be? I see lots of pictures of them but not how big it is, I want to make a reproduction for my camp as a display,I figured I' ll just stuff it with straw as Im not going to open it, just use it for display.

This website lists the dimensions as "53.5 cm long; 27.4 cm in circumference" and weighing in at 3 pounds. Seems legitimate since the reproduction is owned by the Manitoba Museum?

http://www.furtradestories.ca/details.cfm?content_id=262&cat_id=2&sub_cat_id=3

excellent ,thank you,now to figure what to stuff it with,if I could get leaf cheap enough id do that , but brown paper may work

no yard and im only usin it as a prop,I dont use the stuff enough and it would just dry out and crumble

Just brainstorming here, but I would make it out of a cheap piece of lumber or log, rasp it down to shape, paint it dark brown, wrap one crinkled up paper bag around it and then bind that. Binding that much of anything and not having it collapse on you sounds like a nightmare, plus they probably felt like a log anyways packed as tight as they were.

Here's a video.

https://youtu.be/9KnW6jG3U9s

This picture,

26-HBCS-200-tobacco-carrot1.jpg

...is of a 20th century carrot from the Imperial tabacco company of Canada chartered in 1908.

For a traditional style carrot twist try
Turkey foot traders. http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/PipesandTobacco.html
Bottom of the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado Clyde said:
...is of a 20th century carrot from the Imperial tabacco company of Canada chartered in 1908.

The picture is a 20th century reproduction of a common 18th century carrot.

The Imperial Tobacco Company of England, not Canada, while being founded in the 20th century was itself founded by the W.D. & H.O. Wills company of 1786.

Not arguing Obi....But my research differs....

Imperial Tobacco Company of Canada was created in 1908 out of the merger of the Canadian interests of the American Tobacco Company with local Canadian tobacco companies.

American Tobacco, which had acquired the Kinney Brothers Tobacco Company, makers of the then-popular cigarette brand Sweet Caporal (which commanded a 50% share of the Canadian cigarette market at the time Imperial Tobacco acquired American Tobacco), had entered the Canadian market by acquiring the Montréal-based American Cigarette Company and D. Ritchie and Company, forming the American Tobacco Company of Canada, Ltd.[1] Imperial Tobacco Company of Canada Ltd. was created out of the cigarette companies founded by Bartholome Houde and George E. Tuckett.[2]

Curious what you have...

Imperial Tobacco Company, Bristol, UK. 20th century, probably? The thing is that they made a reproduction of an 18th century carrot that is part of the Manitoba Museum's collection that is displayed as a reproduction of a popular 18th century carrot and the website I got this from is:

"Welcome to Fur Trade Stories, a unique presentation of primary and secondary resources found in the collections of Canada's National History Society, HBCA - Archives of Manitoba, The Manitoba Museum, Parks Canada and several First Nations communities." -the website

It's possible that the whole of Canada's got this wrong about carrots or that somebody went through a lot of effort to put up a deceptive website regarding something nobody's even heard of in the last 200 years? I just think all of the signs point to this being a legitimate reproduction of a popular 18th century carrot type. :v

I just think all of the signs point to this being a legitimate reproduction of a popular 18th century carrot type.

Except for the label on that carrot... :hmm:

I think we are both right, in that both twisted carrots were made and wrapped carrots.

One account I saw said that carrots were ground and used as snuff in France. as pictured here.

abbe_rappe.JPG

It was reported that every trading post across Canada grew tobacco to be traded by 1800.
One inventory list stated "roll" tobacco. I assume it was this, which also looks like a carrot.
JB-40-rope-tobacco.jpg

I think tobacco was made into many forms to be traded and shipped.

I originaly saw the picture of one in the American Heritage book Trapers and Mountain men when I was a kid, The picture shows a Hudson bay type axe, a very short percussion trade gun,powder horn and a carrot on a blanket, still love that picture

Well I finished it, came out a little longer than the one pictured above but should pass as the real thing if not handled,now to replicate the label.

Back