• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Wad or Not To Wad...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to answer a slightly different question - mostly because I have no idea what product is least likely to melt under those conditions.

Because I believe chainfire protection is best derived from a properly fitting projectile, I think the chamber mouth grease should be one that is most effective in reducing or softening fouling. Bore Butter is high on the preferred list for that function. There are a number of homemade recipes here on the forum that also perform that task admirably. The fact that it might unseal is of secondary importance.

i can live with that.

mine give a good tight seal, so maybe i just use too much butter and it is pooling at the ends of the lead.

thanks - again, and again - for your patience.

Lube over the ends of the cylinder is what lubes the ball and keeps fouling soft inside the barrel which keeps your accuracy good. Hard powder fouling in the barrel destroys accuracy. Wads between powder and ball mainly take up space when you're using reduced charges. Neither lube or wads do anything to reduce chain fires as they will not happen with a properly fitting ball. Chain fires occur from the back side from poor fitting caps.
I use wads to space my ball as close to the end of the cylinder as I can, I find this really increases accuracy, the ball has a very small distance to travel before it engages the rifling , and doesn't tend to "strip" this way.
I haven't got an actual count , but I shot probably over a thousand rounds this summer with C&B revolvers in Cowboy action shoots.I shot them three weekends out of every month. They never failed me once, and no chain fires either. :thumbsup:

mike,

just the man i need to see about "hardening."

since you actually do shoot alot, first, what are you using, and second, did you ever harden any of the internal parts to prevent wear and tear ?

and thanks for the details on wads.... my caps are #10 and fit perfectly so i don't worry about chainfiring from that end of things.... what i have to do now is reduce my powder so the wads will have to be used regardless of the lube value... i'm dropping from 35 grains to 20 per recommendation of other shooters.

they also recommended hardening, so i put that to you as well.

~daniel~

Latest posts

Back