• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To sign or NOT to sign, that is the question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make the product as requested....personally....I'd want the maker's name on anything I ordered.

I sign my own work, be that a letter, a call to 911 (I always give my full name), or even a plumbing repair I do for a friend. I do the best job I can and I want others to know who did such a good job.

Barry Strickland:
Thank you for your time to respond.
I'm kinda' sorry this dragged on as long as it has? I appreciate EVERY response, and I didn't mean to take over the website with my question.
I have adapted my burning equipment to make (what I think is) a better, smaller, signature.
I'm not begging for attention or approval, I just had a question and everyone stepped up and gave me their opinions, for which I an eternally grateful. I think from now on, it's going to be, "Sign it, date it!"
Thank you for your insight and accounting of the collection. I'm glad that you were able to provide the young person with some information. I'm hoping someday, folks will remember who I was through my wares?
God bless:
Two Feathers

I might offer to you something for consideration. Last year I was asked to identify and give a relative value to five contemporary ML rifles, one of which was a Fowler. A teenager had inherited the collection from his grandfather who lived in the southwestern part of the country. The quality of the guns were well above the average examples you find. None of the rifles were signed. They represented a wide range of style and period of time both in flint and percussion. After examining them I believe they were all made by the same talented person. It was rather disheartening to not have a name to research and provide much more information to be saved along with the collection. I myself do sign my guns and other items I build.
100 years from now that signature or logo you put on the objects of your personal art will be extremely helpful to some collector. There is a vast difference in a piece of art that is signed by the maker and a note that says "Attributed To . . . "

Barry Strickland:
Thank you for your time to respond.
I'm kinda' sorry this dragged on as long as it has? I appreciate EVERY response, and I didn't mean to take over the website with my question.
I have adapted my burning equipment to make (what I think is) a better, smaller, signature.
I'm not begging for attention or approval, I just had a question and everyone stepped up and gave me their opinions, for which I an eternally grateful. I think from now on, it's going to be, "Sign it, date it!"
Thank you for your insight and accounting of the collection. I'm glad that you were able to provide the young person with some information. I'm hoping someday, folks will remember who I was through my wares?
God bless:
Two Feathers

I’d like to offer an opinion from another perspective. I have seen a few well-made new pieces mis-attributed as “original” or historic pieces, because there was no maker’s mark. It is responsible and ethical to always include a maker’s mark to help other’s authenticate someone’s work.
It is required to mark your work by some organizations as a condition of membership. HCH for example.

johnhalf:
Wow, I did not know that. That seems weird, almost communistic in a way? I can't fathom being told that I HAVE to do something like that, just to belong to an organization?
Thank you for your time and the information, I find it "interesting."
God bless:
Two Feathers

The only reason for not signing in my opinion is to avoid a potential legal responsibility in case someone chooses to sue. Even not signing wouldn't prevent that. Your work needs to be signed as you show talent and provide excellent products. The example of the unsigned rifles shows the importance of putting your mark on things.

The only reason for not signing in my opinion is to avoid a potential legal responsibility in case someone chooses to sue. Even not signing wouldn't prevent that. Your work needs to be signed as you show talent and provide excellent products. The example of the unsigned rifles shows the importance of putting your mark on things.
Kansas Jake:
Thank you, but I'm not sure How or Why someone would opt to sue me for NOT signing my work?
I get that a Collector? might possibly want MY?? signature on something I made, but that's about the extent of my understanding WHY? I know I'd like to own a signed piece of work, but normally I can't afford things like that. :dunno:
Thank you again.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers, I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining. If someone used your knife to harm someone or if they hurt themselves, then the victim or person who hurt themselves might try to sue you. The likelyhood of that happening is almost none, but some folks get all worked up about being overly cautious based on a lawyer's advice. That is the reason BP rifles have writ large the words "Black Powder only" on the barrels.

Two Feathers, I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining. If someone used your knife to harm someone or if they hurt themselves, then the victim or person who hurt themselves might try to sue you. The likelyhood of that happening is almost none, but some folks get all worked up about being overly cautious based on a lawyer's advice. That is the reason BP rifles have writ large the words "Black Powder only" on the barrels.
Kansas Jake:
Thanks... I didn't get it, now I do! When I was teaching, I had students who wanted to buy hunting knives from me. I taught in a Vocational High School. I knew most of them were under 18 yrs.old. So I drew up an indemnity contract (from the Latin word "Indemnis" Unhurt or undamaged), which I made the kids parent or legal guardian sign in my presence. I had it checked out by a lawyer. He said it was Boiler Plate. I still have copies of it here. I never had any issues.
Thank you again for straightening me out.
God bless;
Two Feathers

Howdy folks:
How's this? I just finished this Chef's knife with Osage Orange handles and my logo. Let me know what you think? I can't do this on EVERY knife, because most of my blades would be too narrow to put it on without laying the feathers parallel to the blade and that would look horrible!
You can see by the pocket watch that it's Supper time. ;)
Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• Signature 001 edited 30.jpg
    Signature 001 edited 30.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Signature 002 edited 30.jpg
    Signature 002 edited 30.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Signature 003 edited 30.jpg
    Signature 003 edited 30.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 89
I like a signed piece shows pride in the maker and his craft, As stated perhaps the request to not sign a piece has dubious reasons, The nessmuck knife I purchased a bit back has your mark and when asked about the knife I state who it was made by and show the mark. Keep your mark and be proud of the items carrying it.

I like a signed piece shows pride in the maker and his craft, As stated perhaps the request to not sign a piece has dubious reasons, The nessmuck knife I purchased a bit back has your mark and when asked about the knife I state who it was made by and show the mark. Keep your mark and be proud of the items carrying it.
Howdy:
Yup, I remember the sale AND the great feedback! Thank you.
I'm very glad that you're happy with your Nessmuk. It's always been my aim to make my customers happy about anything that they bought from me.
Is your knife still serving the purpose?
I'll keep making my mark as long as I can, Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy folks:
How's this? I just finished this Chef's knife with Osage Orange handles and my logo. Let me know what you think? I can't do this on EVERY knife, because most of my blades would be too narrow to put it on without laying the feathers parallel to the blade and that would look horrible!
You can see by the pocket watch that it's Supper time. ;)
Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

That looks awesome.

johnhalf:
Wow, I did not know that. That seems weird, almost communistic in a way? I can't fathom being told that I HAVE to do something like that, just to belong to an organization?
Thank you for your time and the information, I find it "interesting."
God bless:
Two Feathers
I think the theory is that the work then cannot be passed off as an antique, but i do take your point.

Your thread got me contemplating 2F, and in my collection of higher end (some are not considered high end by me because of cost but because of the craftsmanship, ie Jack Duprey) hunting pouches etc., which are all handmade in the traditional way, all the leatherwork that is intended to represent professionally made items of the period are stamped or otherwise marked (Think James Rogers and Gary Elsenbeck), and the ones that are intended to represent homemade/homespun (ie Joe Mills, Eric Ewing/Ewing Creek Accoutrements) are not, even though for the most part the ones representing homespun are much more expensive, James Rogers excluded. All the blades I own that represent hand forged are also marked in an interesting fashion. Anyway, just yakking about thoughts... Oh, and Eric Ewing of Ewing Creek Accoutrement's style is his mark. A website worth checking out. He's a fave of mine. Along with ol' 2 Feathers that is.....
D230C3D1-17B9-43B8-988A-A5ED147E0333_1_105_c.jpeg

A1F76D51-D0E1-42CB-ADFD-68FD7BAB2B8D_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Bob:
I'm terribly flattered, and very humbled to be inked in with guys of that professional caliber.
I have a nice manufactured MM for leather, but I had it made by a buddy in Czechoslovakia, and it looks manufactured, not to mention that it's about 1.25" wide, so it's a bit big for knife sheathes, bag n such, no, but knife sheathes definitely! Here's what my MM looks like on a customer's sheath, a small patch knife sheath. I hope you can see it well enough?
Thank you again for your inspiring words.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• Raryl's patch knife sheath 002 edited 30.jpg
    Raryl's patch knife sheath 002 edited 30.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 71
Back