• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To sign or NOT to sign, that is the question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the early 1990s, I did some whitling. What I did was in no way related to the type stuff here. Mine was holiday related stuff. I did sign every piece of it "M" with a line under it and under that was the year.
Now my thoughts on this subject.
It does NOT matter how you sign, big and gaudy or tiny and discreet. Your signature and date "is" worth more than the product.
If someone does not want me to sign something then I would believe they want to take credit for my work.
If someone does not like my signature being on an item then I would not want them to have a piece of my work.
Just my thoughts and opinion.

Mule

Is there a National Registry of makers marks?

If not, how is anyone going to know who made an object?

I have things around here that I bought on vacation that have a makers mark on them and I have no idea who that person is.

Back in the early 1990s, I did some whitling. What I did was in no way related to the type stuff here. Mine was holiday related stuff. I did sign every piece of it "M" with a line under it and under that was the year.
It does NOT matter how you sign, big and gaudy or tiny and discreet. Your signature and date "is" worth more than the product.
If someone does not want me to sign something then I would believe they want to take credit for my work.
If someone does not like my signature being on an item then I would not want them to have a piece of my work.

Mule
Back in the 80s I built some houses, I mean big houses. A 3000 SF house was considered a mcmansion. I built three story 10,000 SF houses covered in limestone slabs with 2000 SF pool houses in the yard and a "1500 SF tea room to give the pool some balance" It's amazing how much money some people have. The house had a 3000 SF two story garage away from the house where the servents quarters were above the garage in three seperate apartments. Anyway, when we finished the framing I wood burned a piece of wood with my name and the year I completed the framing. (The house was under construction for years) I screwed the board to a roof rafter in the attic. Will anybody ever see it? Who knows? Maybe a hundred years from now sombody will speak my name. That's enough for me. So what's a house like that look like from the air? I got this from maps!
Screenshot_20200731-090746.png

I didn't build the whole house, but I worked on it for a couple years.
Neil

Mule
Mule:
Thank you. I tend to feel the same way. I hate to be that distrustful of people, but chicanery seems to be a way of life these days, with the advent of the Internet? I've never dated my work, but I may start?
Chicanery ( showing my age now!!)
Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Is there a National Registry of makers marks?

If not, how is anyone going to know who made an object?

I have things around here that I bought on vacation that have a makers mark on them and I have no idea who that person is.
FishDFly:
Not that I'm aware of? Actually, any 6 year old with a cheap soldering iron, who can write, can do what I do. As long as they block print Two Feathers, they can forge my signature all day long! How's that for a makers mark!? I don't want to make some mark that looks manufactured, but it's tough to do something tasteful that's NOT manufactured. If you want any kind of consistency, you have to go with a manufactured mark. I know I can't turn out carbon copy looking signatures one after the other?
God bless:
Two Feathers

FishDFly:
Not that I'm aware of? Actually, any 6 year old with a cheap soldering iron, who can write, can do what I do. As long as they block print Two Feathers, they can forge my signature all day long! How's that for a makers mark!? I don't want to make some mark that looks manufactured, but it's tough to do something tasteful that's NOT manufactured. If you want any kind of consistency, you have to go with a manufactured mark. I know I can't turn out carbon copy looking signatures one after the other?
God bless:
Two Feathers
Make a logo and have it converted to a steel stamp to be used as a proof mark and a wood brand for the stock. Again, it doesn't have to be big. Another thing I saw many years ago was a tiny glass corked tube inserted into a drilled hole in the stock under the butt plate. In the tube was the builders name, date and contact info.

Make a logo and have it converted to a steel stamp to be used as a proof mark and a wood brand for the stock. Again, it doesn't have to be big. Another thing I saw many years ago was a tiny glass corked tube inserted into a drilled hole in the stock under the butt plate. In the tube was the builders name, date and contact info.
Interesting concept, very creative. I have a few ideas, thanks.
Two Feathers

Howdy folks Two Feathers here with an opinion related question?
Recently, I was asked by a member of one of the BP websites; to NOT sign my work for a couple of different reasons. I'm wondering what the consensus of opinion is on that here? I try very hard to do good work and I was proud of that fact, until this? I don't want to come off as arrogant or egotistical, but I thought some folks would like having me sign my work? Maybe I assumed TOO much? In any event, I'd like to know what y'all think about my quandary. I take NO offense at ANY comment regardless of your viewpoint. Comments are welcomed, they are how I decide future actions. I'd like to hear from you folks on this, before I go on signing my wares if the act is undesirable?
If this sounds like me looking for praise, it isn't. I'd like to think that folks know me better than that? I just don't want to offend anyone who spends their hard earned money on my wares/knives, IF they don't want me to burn my Two Feathers signature into the item somewhere? I'll happily stop if it offends folks?
Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your time and comments.
God bless:
Two Feathers
If a person is forced to sell one of your products, he would receive a better price with your signature on the item. Also, I would want people to know that I was lucky enough to get a prize made by Two Feathers. "WE" want to show off your signature as we are proud to get a well made item. Your signature is not for you, it is for the pleasure of the buyer. Don't take that away from him/her.

If a person is forced to sell one of your products, he would receive a better price with your signature on the item. Also, I would want people to know that I was lucky enough to get a prize made by Two Feathers. "WE" want to show off your signature as we are proud to get a well made item. Your signature is not for you, it is for the pleasure of the buyer. Don't take that away from him/her.
Crow-Feather:
Thank you, but I think we've just escalated from a simple question to a deeply Moral and Philosophical discussion? I'm not sure how to run with this?
WOW...now I feel bad. 😥
I didn't think folks cared THAT much about my wares? Like I said earlier. I thought folks just wanted a good knife or accoutrement?
Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers

When my time comes and I am laid to rest, I would hope that those who cover me over would lay me down with some of my possessions.
Then some many years later should my bones be discovered they will look upon my 'unknown' remains they may see the maker's mark on powder horn or blade (or whatever) - then while my own remains may be "unknown" they will know that I knew Two Feathers and therefore I must have been 'someone'!

A bit morbid and maybe a little over the top, but I appreciate the sentiment. As I had stated earlier. I have never considered myself a person to be showered with admiration or respect. I just do what I do. If folks like it GREAT, if not, oh well, back to the drawing board. Thank you for your extremely kind words. I'm embarrassed now.:ThankYou:
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy folks Two Feathers here with an opinion related question?
Recently, I was asked by a member of one of the BP websites; to NOT sign my work for a couple of different reasons. I'm wondering what the consensus of opinion is on that here? I try very hard to do good work and I was proud of that fact, until this? I don't want to come off as arrogant or egotistical, but I thought some folks would like having me sign my work? Maybe I assumed TOO much? In any event, I'd like to know what y'all think about my quandary. I take NO offense at ANY comment regardless of your viewpoint. Comments are welcomed, they are how I decide future actions. I'd like to hear from you folks on this, before I go on signing my wares if the act is undesirable?
If this sounds like me looking for praise, it isn't. I'd like to think that folks know me better than that? I just don't want to offend anyone who spends their hard earned money on my wares/knives, IF they don't want me to burn my Two Feathers signature into the item somewhere? I'll happily stop if it offends folks?
Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your time and comments.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Sign everything you do and date it.

Hey, when you reach my age, and survived what I survived, 'Death' is no longer morbid, it is inevitable; so long as I have good memories and good friends, it's just another journey.
I just hope to keep my top notch until that day comes!
Thank you:
I feel the same. Too old to much care anymore. I've got my friends Albeit; most of them are here and I'll never see the majority of them in life? But thanks for the words of wisdom.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Sign everything you do and date it.
Josephg:
Thank you. I'm gonna' try to do that. It's tough just burning my name in there without it looking crappy, I hate to add more, but, I'll certainly think that over. I got a price yesterday, for a small steel stamp with just 2 little feathers on it $186.00!!!! NOPE!!!
Thanks for taking your time to contribute your comment to my question.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I might offer to you something for consideration. Last year I was asked to identify and give a relative value to five contemporary ML rifles, one of which was a Fowler. A teenager had inherited the collection from his grandfather who lived in the southwestern part of the country. The quality of the guns were well above the average examples you find. None of the rifles were signed. They represented a wide range of style and period of time both in flint and percussion. After examining them I believe they were all made by the same talented person. It was rather disheartening to not have a name to research and provide much more information to be saved along with the collection. I myself do sign my guns and other items I build.
100 years from now that signature or logo you put on the objects of your personal art will be extremely helpful to some collector. There is a vast difference in a piece of art that is signed by the maker and a note that says "Attributed To . . . "

Back