• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To Polish the Brass Furniture or Not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal choice. When I got my TC back in the 70s I would wipe the brass with my dirty swabbing patch after every shot and swab just to add patina.
I agree. No to polishing. I love the patina that the rifle gun exhibits. I also use a cleaning swab to wipe on the brass to ensure the patina.

My shiny rifles are nothing compared to what I do to my powder measures. Lol.View attachment 9989
That sure is shiny! Hahaha!!
IMG_20190523_185956.jpg

I like shiny. Probably too lazy to do it, but I like muzzleloaders that look brand new, unless they aren't replicas.

An original, I wouldn't think about touching the patina.

Back in 'the day', I'm pretty sure the only time you would see shiny anything on a gun would be when it was new or military. When hunting (for anything), the sudden glint off shiny furniture could startle game. Reflection could also reveal your position to an enemy miles away. (I have signalled helicopters to me with a tiny mirror from a mile or more). Military probably wouldn't giva hoot most of the time, but I'm pretty sure a lone trapper in hostile territory would hoot a lot, and let the brass get dull asap. All that aside, if you like shiny brass; go for it; it's your gun.

View attachment 10002
I polish my brass, but I no longer hunt, so to each his own. If I were still hunting I’d probably let it patina. I polish all my accoutrements as well, then give a coat of Renaissance Wax.
Question please. I just purchased some Renaissance Wax, heard lots of good things about it. After you polish the brass and put a coat of the wax on it does it prevent tarnishing from happening and if so for how long on an average. Thanks Art

Did the original Hawken, etc... even come with brass bits on them?
Yes they made some brass and silver mounted rifles. They turned out a few fowling prices and small bore fine rifles Their plains guns were mostly iron mounts but the key plates could be silver. Most of the guns that had a butt trap had a cap box instead of a patch box, but brass patch boxes were found on some of their guns.

Did the original Hawken, etc... even come with brass bits on them?

The answer to this question caries a lot of depends with it. Hawken rifles in 50 or 45 caliber and smaller were offered to the local St. Louis and Missouri trade for hunting or target shooting. Some of these Hawken "squirrel" rifles had brass furniture. I know of one J. P. Gemmer rifle made in the plains rifle architecture made after the civil war in 45 caliber with iron furniture. I have also seen photos of the brass mounted rifles. Maybe in Hanson or Baird's books. What is surprising is that these look very much like a T/C Hawken or contemporary with a Dimick rifle. Dimick rifles were quite popular and they had brass furniture.
Take a look: https://namlhunt.com/uploads/3/4/2/2/34220093/published/h-e-dimick-rifle_1.jpg?1487774673

Question please. I just purchased some Renaissance Wax, heard lots of good things about it. After you polish the brass and put a coat of the wax on it does it prevent tarnishing from happening and if so for how long on an average. Thanks Art
Yes it does. I have brass accoutrements that look great after over 10 years. They never get harsh cleaning fluid on them though.

That is funny! I did four years in Uncle Sam’s canoe club myself. I still polish shoes and brass, but I don’t spit shine shoes. LOL

Military school and 4 years in the Air Force, I still polish my shoes (not spit polish) and brass on my rifles get a nice shine. I like shiny.

Ok, so some like shiny, some like patina. For those who like a nice patina, how do YOU get a patina on your brass in less that 10 years? I've tried waiting and it looks kinda raggedy more than aged. (Of course I'm aged and the wife says I look pretty raggedy too.)

Thanks

Latest posts

Back