• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To introduce myself

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlSchrader

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading most of the postings in this forum, I am realizing that this is quite a group of very sophisticated members and I will be hard pressed to contribute anything along those sophisticated lines. As this is my first posting, I think it will be appropriate to introduce myself as far as my connection with the muzzeloading fraternity is concerned. Coming from a long line of genetically preprogrammed hunters, I came to Canada 50 years ago escaping the East German communistic oppression. And of course, Canada was always protrayed as the hunters paradise. And I must say, that in these 50 years that proved to be quite true. So, I went hunting whenever I could scrape together the time while still trying to make a more modern living by working as a researcher in electrophysiology at the local University.

Being located in Ontario, I paddled literally hundreds, maybe even more than a few thousand miles, on the streams of northern Ontario hunting for moose. This went on for about 30 years until time was catching up with me and it became harder and harder to get a moose out of the bush. So, I bought myself 100 acres of prime hunting territory closer to home, build a log cabin on it, drilled a well and proceeded to develop a hunting area along the lines I learned in Europe. And it paid off well, the deer on my property flourished so that a friend and myself each could harvest our deer every year.

Now, what has all this to do with muzzleloading ? The concept of selfsuficiency was burned into me to sustain myself since my escape from the communists, in other words, keep it simple and sustainable over a long period of time. In the beginning of my hunting in Europe, I used modern equipment of course and also during my moosehunting days here, however, this to be independent urge was always with me and with modern equipment one always needed the modern supplies. So, I begun to look back in time to find out how the oldtimers did it and how the old longhunters could sustain themselves for long periods of time in the woods without any supplies nearby available. All they had was a flintlock rifle, a powderhorn full of powder for about a 100 shots, some leadballs, a knife and a beltaxe and off they went for a long time without any connection to the civilization at that time. Now, this sounds a bit too romantic and I know, it was a lot harder than that to live that kind of life. But, what intrigued me was the simplicity of their hunting equipment and that one could do most of the necccessary repairs oneself. So, the time periods were overlapping and about 30 years ago, I obtained my first muzzleloader, a T/C flintlock Hawken. I got the roundball mould, and all the other paraphernalia and started practicing with it on my own territory. So, to make a rather long story shorter, I have the place now set up so that I practically can sustain myself for peanuts as compared to living in the city. The most expensive item being the property taxes.
I hope this is not too long a story and I will have more specific questions regarding certain aspects of muzzleloading as it is today later on.

Welcome!

Sophisticated? I'll challange anyone here to a pie fight to disprove that. We is plain, simple Earthy folks, some of which has talent exceeding their outward appearance - take Zonie for example.

The important thing is that we all have smoke in our eyes and soot in our lungs.

NEVER hesitate to ask a question or add an observation, or even an opinion. You can insult Claude, the administrator, or any of us moderators because we probably won't understand it anyway. No cussing or insulting another guy's firearms - take Zonie's for example. ::

Have fun!

Sophisticated? I'll challange anyone here to a pie fight to disprove that.

I have a picture of that very fight...

cs-ds3.jpg

Oh, welcome...

As for adding to the forum, everyone has something to add...

Stumpkiller was a shy member and only had one post a week ago, maybe a tad longer... :winking:

But he wore down his index fingers, that's why he changed his name to STUBkiller...

Now where did I misplace that picture...

Jager: A Big Welcome to the Camp !!!
Thankyou for telling your story. You done what I only dream about, owning your own piece of heaven. I would like to own 100 acres myself. In time. For now kick back and enjoy all the information this camp has to offer, and add your two cents worth. Take Care, Steve (Mtn-Man2u) :)

Welcome. This site is hardly what I would call a sophisticated place, but I thank you for all of us for considering it as such.
You, and all of the people who take the time to join us honor us with your membership.

Anyone who has shot black-powder for 30 years is bound to have gained knowledge and stories which will be of interest to all of us. I hope we can hear from you often.

Having said that, let me invite you to sit back, read, contribute, debate or whatever else suits you.
The main idea here is just to share knowledge with others so they can enjoy the great hobby of Muzzleloading.

Welcome to the fireside.

Jager...welcome to the board. It is a great place, full of wonderful folks willing to share what they know and have learned. No doubt you have much to offer to anyone on here willing to listen.

Way back when my wife and I both grew up on hardscrabble farms in the Missouri Ozarks where self-sufficiency was more mandantory than desireable. That way of life from our youth has determined how we live. It also led me to learn how things were done "in the old days" so just in case I needed to know, I would!!! We've enjoyed a productive and enlightening life together practicing those "old ways" and we could live "off the grid" quite comfortably. I understand and admire your tenacity and character. It is a thoroughly enjoyable process. Again, welcome to the camp.

Vic

Back