To do with a flask

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
I'm working on a new bag, i want to use a flask with it, one of those with rings for suspending it. Would you use cord or thongs attached directy to the bag strap, or a separate strap or cord to hold the flask alone?

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have one I used a long buckskin strap tied on to suspend it from my shoulder. It may not be HC but works well.

LawrenceA

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
First determine if you want to hang it on the same or opposite side than the bag.
I personally went seperate. This allows the flask more maneuverability and the ability not to bring it or sit in on the bench etcetera.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Of the four bags in my shop, three have horns attached to the bag straps. The fourth bag is on a separate strap from the horn.

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Lawrence old bean, You must have a long lanyard if you can sit on the flask ! I trust its Green correct colour for flasks .Something to do with St Barbara patron saint of gunners mine sits just below my armpit no further down than the lowest rib. its just about 6 "over all. The flask not the rib ,eh
Cheers Rudyard

LawrenceA

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Lawrence old bean, You must have a long lanyard if you can sit on the flask ! I trust its Green correct colour for flasks .Something to do with St Barbara patron saint of gunners mine sits just below my armpit no further down than the lowest rib. its just about 6 "over all. The flask not the rib ,eh
Cheers Rudyard
I didn't know there was a correct colour for flask straps.
I am, again, humbled by your knowledge.
If there was a smilie thingy to show "hat's off" I would stick it here.

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
K. Voluntier....If the flask will be hung out side the shot pouch in the weather , it must be a water proof flask. ? Sorry I had to ask a stupid question. It's just that all of my old Italian made flasks aren't of a waterproof type and would be stored inside the pouch.....oldwood

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
Its always a consideration when carrying powder in a flask. Use a separate measure to transfer powder from the flask to the muzzle.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
No flask for me, but I have my horns attached to the strap on a couple of bags. And not strapped on one. Strapped seems to stay out of your way a little better then free. When bending over or maneuvering through thicker woods