• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To cut or not to cut??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Working on finishing up a knife. First one I have done with elk antler or any other antler for that matter. So looking for opinions because I’m on the fence! To cut or not to cut the nose picker( tail of the tine)? Thinking of loping it off about 1/2” past my hand.
What say you all and why??
2A1F8CEF-06E4-4F79-8DD7-999A75F265E4.jpeg
5481A6BB-826C-4555-BC65-BB2F5C2D117E.jpeg

It looks real cool just like, beside you never know when you might have to scratch your nose.
I would not, I like horn knives, they just look real comfy in your hands.

FWIW, I left it on the caper I made because the tine I used was much shorter than yours.

rSqOAo2l.jpg

Qh0vXhWl.jpg

If it is in the way for some of your tasks, cut it. I like the earlier mentioned idea of the poured pewter cap.
If you use a starter for loading roundball, cut it and drill a small hole, attach a brass button jag of the correct diameter of your favorite caliber gun.

If it isn't in the way, leave it.

See how well you like it after you have to reach waaaaay up inside a moose to cut things loose.
I’ve not had to crawl inside a moose yet. I have crawled inside a couple Elk! They’re big critters!
I don’t feel like it’s in the way. For now I’m gonna leave it. There’s been some really good ideas though. I had contemplated pouring a pewter cap. The thought of carving an eagle is fun! I have done some carving but I’m not sure I want to take that on!
For those of you who like it as is this knife could be coming your way shortly :)

Back