• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To cut Damascus Percussion Shotgun, or not to cut ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless the barrels were made for the French-speaking market, they would invariably be in English, from what I've seen over the last fifty-something years. I've seen a few guns made for the home market, and France bearing the words 'Acier en Riband' or even 'Acier á Riband - French for twisted steel.

I was around the B'ham trade as nuisance in my early youth interested in Tubes as our next door but one factory Had been Smith's Gun barrel works. There were many Belgian tubes used by the trade as late as the 1960's. Most appear to have been Re-Proofed in Brum. Some old Dams or Laminated. This gun looks very English and as an old good quality gun should be treasured as Shooting History to pass to the future as it has been passed down in the past. If you want a Coaching carbine go to Italy for a cheap repro that you can butcher as you want and save on Hacksaw blades and HISTORY .( OFFENCE INTENDED ) .. OLD DOG..

This is so funny everyone trying to save this poor double shotgun ,which reminds me on our village uk forum to me “please don’t shoot the lovely furry squirrels” next I had the police around checking my pcp bsa Scorpio rifles And the the rspca making sure I was a good shot at culling them. Stupid woman , they are mighty tasty to eat and we are over run with them. Is there thus an inspector of antiques to protect this poor Gunn Ha ha. Very funny. Lovely kind peoples forum. And I cannot carry my guns in my french Rapido Motorhome hunting after hogs in France. God bless yo all. Regards Gordon’s
Is Gordon related to Andrew??

As FELTWAD stated I have a sweet spot for the older military bolt actions, I have seen some pretty bad home attempts at sporterizing these guns, some can be brought back which has been done some are way beyond the efforts, The gun is only going too appreciate over the years in value in its original state, once the hack job it is basically useless except for you. Something too think about (reference only) 30-35 years ago you could buy a O3A3 or German Mauser rather cheaply in original condition, now if you can find one they are very expensive. Your gun and you can do as you like but sounds too me you also had second thoughts thus the post.

Here is another twist ... yep meant ta say it ... on cutting an old Damascus or London fine twist or Laminated barrels.

What would happen to this old style barrel making if you did cut them?

Will they unravel? Can you solder them without worry of damaging the twist steel?

Some of these questions should be considered before doing anything.

I vote for an undamaged set of barrels ... be kept unmolested.

Now if there is damage at or close to the Muzzle... that changes everything . I certainly would cut em if I were determined to return the damaged barrels to usable condition. I have done this kinda thing before and ask no approval from anyone for restoring a dangerous old rust bucket to a serviceable gun again.

Just my two cents. Ultimately they are yours so my thoughts are worth just what you paid for them.

Last edited:
No the barrels will not unravel ,each twist are white hot welded using a mandrel and a blacksmith s anvil with different size groves it was a art which is now gone .
Feltwad

There will always be shooters that think because it is mine I can destroy its heritage to suit ones self for their own gain or for personal gain, Has I have said we are the custodian's of these guns and only hold them for a while and not to dispose or alter them has we please we hold them in trust and must account for them to those that come after
I have seen it all before good guns be it a muzzle loader and early breech loaders botched and finish in the furnace and these people call themselves muzzle loaders butchers more like who do not give a dam about its heritage
Feltwad

Feltwad , you sir are so correct, I feel the same way, My son will more than likely end up with all of mine , he has a
small assortment of firearms now. After watching him around his weapons , I know when he gets mine they will be in good hands. I have family guns from both sides of my family , Brother , his sons my sister her sons, cousins have no
respect for what came before us , i hate to see old tools , old guns , hell anything old just tossed aside, there is life left
in most things. I was always told I was born to early by 100 years or so, I like the early ways.
gunny

well you guys were born 100 yrs to late, I am almost there in this life!

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone ask the OP WHY he wants to cut the barrels? Are they damaged, or do you just want a short shotgun?

No the barrels will not unravel ,each twist are white hot welded using a mandrel and a blacksmith s anvil with different size groves it was a art which is now gone . Feltwad

I HAVE, however, seen a wire-twist pinfire gun come unravelled when being trimmed by a mere half-inch or so.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone ask the OP WHY he wants to cut the barrels? Are they damaged, or do you just want a short shotgun?
See comment below from post #12 in this thread. Also don’t believe we have heard from the OP on this topic since the first post.
Other than for shooting it with ‘buck and ball’, why do you feel the need to cut the barrels down?

I might have got it a bit wrong I was tracking down the midland gun works as I have a .36 double ML probably by them. And also researching the Birmingham uk gun trade. The writer said the barrel maker next door had plenty of tubes imported from Belgium So tubes were made in Belgium but finished in Birmingham I’ll try and find the article and post it properly

I might have got it a bit wrong I was tracking down the midland gun works as I have a .36 double ML probably by them. And also researching the Birmingham uk gun trade. The writer said the barrel maker next door had plenty of tubes imported from Belgium So tubes were made in Belgium but finished in Birmingham I’ll try and find the article and post it properly
I Didn't say Smith's Gun Barrel Imported Belgian tubes. They Made 'em.. Drop forged Iron tubes seam welded in the fire, mainly for trade guns in the Mid to late 1800s. The Birmingham Trade imported cheaper Belgian tubes while better tubes were made by the likes Greener, Webley and others. Birmingham was still using modern Belgian steel tubes,in the 1960/70s but they were always said to be soft compared to Webley's .. OLD DOG..

Last edited:
well you guys were born 100 yrs to late, I am almost there in this life!

Toot, you are correct , from my thought pattern to my finger there is a time delay . meant to say late. No wonder
the SGTMAJ gets side ways with me at times. Was looking forward to getting old , but now I;m concerned.
gunnyr

gunnyr, REMEMBER THAT OLD AGE IS NOT FOR SISSIES!! and the only thing that is golden in your golden years is your urine, and wait for CRS too set in, but then you will meet new people every day, WHO ARE YOU?? I think that us lovers of BP, were all born a little out of season? and what age would be? toot.

We are all almost pretty young, in fact : the old men don't play with the black powder like kids, like us...
A large portion of the people in here is like me : I'm born in the first half of the precedent century, just a bit after the latest rainfall and just uptime for the spring....
;)

Latest posts

Back