• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To cut Damascus Percussion Shotgun, or not to cut ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a handsome shotgun and it appears to be in good condition. If it were mine I certainly would not shorten the barrels. Respect the integrity of this nice antique, which has so far escaped the butcher's hacksaw!

it came at 36,inches for a reason. keep it that way. do not destroy it! it is a beautiful piece. get an ITALIAN REPRODUCTION, in coach gun dementions. keep as is and shoot it and enjoy it. it will bring you many years of enjoyment!.

as stated DON'T CUT IT! why destroy a great original shot gun?? there are plenty of repos out there to choose from.

It will lose all collector value if cut down. And if you want to sell it, you won’t get as much for it.

I suppose that this is a new fashion. Everybody and is brother will cut any shotgun. It is the same way in France by the young shooters for all type of shotgun and goods or bad makes no difference : the important one is to cut the barrels... 😟

Leave it in once piece and have it professionally repaired AND restored. You won't regret it. If you cut it, you will regret it.

Epoxy? scheesh. not even going to touch that. I bet if you had appendicitis you'd do your own surgery too. LOL
And, if you can't have it repaired due to cost, do like Sam squanch says above. Sell it and buy something you are happy with.

That looks a $1500 gun. 1840 ????? It’s your gun do what you like , but it will be worthless If you chop the barrels. Look on Holts auction Norfolk uk. Get a feel for it compare it with guns in next months auction It looks a top grade English gun., don’t think it’s Belgium for one minute

I would put it at £600 to £1400 depending on the maker. I wish you well

I suppose that this is a new fashion. Everybody and is brother will cut any shotgun. It is the same way in France by the young shooters for all type of shotgun and goods or bad makes no difference : the important one is to cut the barrels..

Where does France come in, I take my Motorhome across the channel. The gun shop in Calais sells BP guns over the counter no licence. But I need a “permits to carry “ if I take one in my Motorhome. Any ideas bit-confusing

Gordoncourtney said:
Where does France come in, I take my Motorhome across the channel. The gun shop in Calais sells BP guns over the counter no licence. But I need a “permits to carry “ if I take one in my Motorhome. Any ideas bit-confusing
You mean :"Where is going the France" I suppose ?...
Yep, l'Armurerie de Calais (this where the boss is Jean-Pierre Fusil ?) can sale all the BP guns he wants when he wants and only at an adult person. There is no problem and it is legal...... but he only can sale 2Kg (four pounds) of BP and can't sale any substitute to replace BP because this is illegal...

To go somewhere with a car and with arms on board you need a "real good reason", the general reason is to go to the range or near a gunsmith : all the other reasons aren't allowed, and you can't carry that with your motor home without authorization...

Welcome to the wonder world of Macrony .....😟

I recently acquired a 36" 12 ga double barrel percussion shotgun, in good working condition, albeit had a cracked forend on the one piece stock, which I repaired with epoxy.
The shotgun is unmarked , except for a couple of small proofs and the word "Laminate Steel" on gold colored inlay on the rib.
I assume its likely just another "Belgian clunker" , and this morning I have dug out a new sawzall blade and taped the barrels off to 24", full intending to cut it off
and shoot it with "buck and ball" and buckshot......

However , I have decided to give it more thought and ask opinions on this forum before I do anything to it.
Here are the pictures of the barrels.
Advise and opinions are welcome

Thanks !

r2iWmmD.jpg

Y1goykh.jpg

NIfI3J4.jpg

WAC8f5k.jpg

swaOjZF.jpg

l6mqHL1.jpg

cRuruKf.jpg

7v7nOcu.jpg

RPlp5vJ.jpg
If this truly Damascus barrels, take it to appraiser before you do any modifications. PLEASE!!

That looks a $1500 gun. 1840 ????? It’s your gun do what you like , but it will be worthless If you chop the barrels. Look on Holts auction Norfolk uk. Get a feel for it compare it with guns in next months auction It looks a top grade English gun., don’t think it’s Belgium for one minute

I would put it at £600 to £1400 depending on the maker. I wish you well
Yes it is his gun but what gives him the right to butcher its history to suit a whim of a short barrel gun. This is a antique which has seen many years of service we are only the custodians and its history should be preserved for future generations.
Feltwad

I recently acquired a 36" 12 ga double barrel percussion shotgun, in good working condition, albeit had a cracked forend on the one piece stock, which I repaired with epoxy.
The shotgun is unmarked , except for a couple of small proofs and the word "Laminate Steel" on gold colored inlay on the rib.
I assume its likely just another "Belgian clunker" , and this morning I have dug out a new sawzall blade and taped the barrels off to 24", full intending to cut it off

However , I have decided to give it more thought and ask opinions on this forum before I do anything to it.

Thanks !

r2iWmmD.jpg

Y1goykh.jpg

NIfI3J4.jpg

WAC8f5k.jpg

swaOjZF.jpg

l6mqHL1.jpg

cRuruKf.jpg

7v7nOcu.jpg

RPlp5vJ.jpg
I wouldnt whack them. Looks like British proofs? Take a small sharp chisel and make a scrape between barrel and under rib in the area covered by the forearm. If it shows yellow it is probably Belgian, if it shows white (silver) it is probably British. Belgian guns were braised, British were soldered.

I had a neighbor who cut down an old damacus shotgun in the 50's and he regreted it the rest of his life!If you don't want it as is sell it!

Donot cut it. While it has Belgian proofs it is a high grade piece and is well worth more in uncut condition. Sell it here and buy a new one to butcher. Just my opinion but you asked.

Looks like British proofs?

Take a small sharp chisel and make a scrape between barrel and under rib in the area covered by the forearm.

If it shows yellow it is probably Belgian, if it shows white (silver) it is probably British.
Belgian guns were braised, British were soldered.

As noted, the barrels have both the Liege (Belgium} provisional proofs for unfinished barrels, and the ELG cartouche, which is also Belgian.

Thanks !

r2iWmmD.jpg

Y1goykh.jpg

NIfI3J4.jpg

WAC8f5k.jpg

swaOjZF.jpg

l6mqHL1.jpg

cRuruKf.jpg

7v7nOcu.jpg

RPlp5vJ.jpg
Do not cut it.
Take it somewhere that does fluorescent particle testing to check for hidden cracks in the barrels

Back