• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TN rifle done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Critique????? Are you kidding? All I can do is drool. That is one beautiful rifle. You have earned the right to stick your thumbs under your suspenders, rear back and strut. :haha: Congrats on a beautiful rifle. :hatsoff:

THAT is ASTOUNDING! I like everything about that rifle! I Particularly like the tang and the comb. I honestly would feel foolish in even attempting to critique anything about it! The ONLY think I don't like is that it's not hanging on my wall!... :hatsoff:

Well. the only thing I can tell that is wrong is that your screw slots aren't lined up! :grin: other than that its a very nice rifle and I wish I owed it. It must have took some time to inlay that tang in there.

It has all been said already. But I would like to ad my "WOW!" and the rest of the complimentary adjectives. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sorry about resurrecting a 5-year old thread - I got distracted with building telecaster-style electric guitars and tube amps for a while (they all have their own forums of course which consume time), but I am about to get back into the ML world.
Anywho, i appreciate all the kind words on this rifle.
Like most of you I'm sure, I find the over-the-comb tang intimidating to start, but I really like the way they look in the end.
Mine actually start as a regular ol' Lancaster-style short tang, and I lap joint and MIG weld on the extension piece - the screw bosses are just cheap steel washers "inlet" into the steel bar and tack welded from below. Then all filed into final form.
And no this barrel doesn't come out of the stock for cleaning.
As y'all know, if you bend that tang, then bend it back to where it oughta be, you just lengthened the metal and your Inlets don't fit so well anymore. It's basically an irreversible boo-boo.

Someone asked about the muzzle; I just copied that off someone else - (don't we all !?!).
Welded a homemade hardened, pointy cutter piece (chunk of old file) onto a 12" pilot rod, wrapped the "bore" end of the rod in tape for a snug fit and inserted it into the bore.
Chucked the other end into my drill.
Run the drill slow, lower the whole assembly into the bore until the cutter contacts the muzzle, carefully score the circle, keep going (slowly) until you get what you want, and Bob's your uncle.
Smoothed out with 800 wet/dry.
Easier than it sounds, really.
Takes longer to build the cutter rod than it does to do the muzzle with it.

Good to be back in the ML crowd - when i get going on this next build i'll post some pics.
/mm

NOT a wall hanger, A super job to go into a safe for sure. Mouth watering.

That's just flat out beautiful! I just wish I could do woodworking like that one day - this is about par for me at this time...

Pallet.jpg

Lovely work and I love the dark color. Do you recall what you used for a stain and finish?
Thanks

I use the modern version of the DIY aqua fortis, made from ferric nitrate crystals from The Science Company
https://www.sciencecompany.com/-P66...MIi4zaxbiP5AIVyAOGCh3daQXjEAQYASABEgJTtPD_BwE
dissolved in denatured alcohol and applied as per usual aqua fortis technique (apply, let dry, heat w/ heat gun).
The darker "highlights" around unworn areas are manually applied with a brush; bone-black pigment mixed in shellac.
Whole thing gets about 5-6 coats of Chambers oil finish.

Thank you for the link. Looking through your builds its obvious that you pay attention to detail. Very nice work.

Back