• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Titanium Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexandre

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Everybody.
Titanium Cannon By Alexandre Coratella.jpg

As promised, a titanium cannon.
The first picture for the first machining-prototype ;)
If you have questions or comments...

Thank you Jeff,

Total length : 13.86" - 352 mm
Barrel length : 12" - 304.8 mm
Caliber : .50 - 12.7 mm
Smoothbore with high precision lapping
Total Mass : 57.67 oz - 1635 grams
Maximum load : Black powder 123 grains - 8 grams

By giving a price, this thread becomes an advertisement. Making advertisements outside the Classified Ad areas is against the rules so, if we get into talking about prices, I'll delete this thread.

If posts are made about the technical aspects or shooting it, it is all right to post them.

So what date was titanium actually used to construct a firearm?

Best ask Alexandre. TMK, he is the first person to make such a weapon, but IMO you can't call a cannon, no matter how small it might be, a firearm. The dictionary definition says that a firearm is a portable weapon such as a pistol or a rifle that fires ammunition. Even a miniature cannon is not exactly portable, representing, as it does, a weapon that usually moves on wheels or skids.

I'd really like to see the real thing, rather that what my eyes tell me is a CG rendering.

BTW, Alexandre has also appeared on another forum on which I write. We want to see more of this work, right?

Best ask Alexandre. TMK, he is the first person to make such a weapon, but IMO you can't call a cannon, no matter how small it might be, a firearm. The dictionary definition says that a firearm is a portable weapon such as a pistol or a rifle that fires ammunition. Even a miniature cannon is not exactly portable, representing, as it does, a weapon that usually moves on wheels or skids.

I'd really like to see the real thing, rather that what my eyes tell me is a CG rendering.

BTW, Alexandre has also appeared on another forum on which I write. We want to see more of this work, right?
Hmmmmmm interesting interpretation of "portable"
A cannon on a carriage is certainly designed to be portable. Even the big guns on rail cars were/are portable.
The cannons on sailing ships traveled the 7 seas, loaded and ready for action..

And I do agree with you, careful pixel examination of the titanium cannon rendition (observe the shadowing especially) clearly shows this is not an actual picture.
The reflection of the cannon is not a reflection, blow up the "picture" and it's clear that the reflection is an exact duplicate, he did not even bother to mirror image it (ie, the inscription on the muzzle is still right side up) So no, that is definitely not a photo. It's not even a particularly good rendition. And where is the fuse hole? I see a rear sight groove, but no vent hole.
Andre also mentions the first machining, but the trunion clearly shows a casting line.
The OP has also made a statement on the recoil of the piece, but no photographs of the actual alleged firing were offered.
I too would like to see more evidence of the actuality of this piece.
Titanium is about 30-40% lighter than steel, so the recoil would be proportionally increased.

By giving a price, this thread becomes an advertisement. Making advertisements outside the Classified Ad areas is against the rules so, if we get into talking about prices, I'll delete this thread.

If posts are made about the technical aspects or shooting it, it is all right to post them.
Titanium isn't known to be cheap. I'm curious on how much just the raw Titanium stock is setting you back to make this project. I'm also curious on the purpose. Is this a prototype of an eventual product or a one-off fun project for yourself?

I don't know the answers to your questions but I'll mention, titanium reacts very poorly with anything that contains chlorine.

Because of the potassium perchlorate in several synthetic black powders like Pyrodex and 777, I strongly suggest to anyone owning a cannon or gun of any kind to avoid using them in it.

Actually, I can't think of one good reason to make a cannon out of titanium. It is expensive, difficult to machine and light weight. In my opinion, none of these justify the idea of making a titanium cannon.

Ok,
I don't give the price :)
Sorry, but it's a real picture. Of course, there is a work with light and contrast. The camera used is a Nikon D850.
Canon realized with cnc.
The titanium is the best quality. Global supplier n°1. Monitoring (test, radiography x-ray...)
Come on, another picture.
Titanium Cannon By Alexandre Coratella.jpg

I don't know the answers to your questions but I'll mention, titanium reacts very poorly with anything that contains chlorine.

Because of the potassium perchlorate in several synthetic black powders like Pyrodex and 777, I strongly suggest to anyone owning a cannon or gun of any kind to avoid using them in it.

Actually, I can't think of one good reason to make a cannon out of titanium. It is expensive, difficult to machine and light weight. In my opinion, none of these justify the idea of making a titanium cannon.
The titanium is the best quality. Global supplier n°1. Monitoring (test, radiography x-ray...)
I don't want tell you again what we have answer you about that canon the last past week on the french forums, I'm not here to carry the problem over the pond...

My personal opinion is like Zonie's opinon, and you, you know that the proto is only a proto that will never fire and could be dangerous....

So what date was titanium actually used to construct a firearm?

I can recall seeing a couple probably 15 years ago at the Greater Northwest Sportshow in Mpls. A small custom builder had a booth showing off a couple modern rifles they had made of Titanium. I recall marvelling at how light they were, and the impressive quality of the build. I asked him the how much question. I cant remember the figure but it was uber-expensive.

There was, I recall, an unmentionable semi-auto shotgun made of titanium. You can judge its 'success' by the thousands of posts about it over the years.

Not.

Thank You very much ChiefBrown. It's a big pleasure because there is a lot of work.
Poker, who is the person ? You know their name ?

Latest posts

Back