• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tips on making buckskin leggings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EASY PATTERN: You can make a pattern that WILL FIT you. You take an old pair of blue jeans that may be hole ridden or seam ripped out. I run them in Hot water in the washing machine in just water, rinse hot water and dry in hot dryer. They will be like mom did them. Snug! Cut across the legs at the thigh at the crotch. Now pull them on your legs, work the material on and of the legs until the ease of off/on is acceptable. The outside seam is the one you you cut off (Both edges and discard). This cut edge is the side or front seam, depends on style you are making. These are your pattern for all your leggings. Adjust the length but cutting off excess from the thigh top area. If you want fringe (depends on style again). It is a good idea to put leather scraps sewn between edges for creation of a welt. Even without fringe, the use of a welt will help sturdy the stitching. I used waxed linen thread on all my leather projects. I used leather needles (Triangled tips) to sew using a criss-cross X stitch, in and out of the same holes with 2 needles and thread strands. About every 3 inches, I'd tie a square knot so it would be in the holes. This allows that if a stitch breaks or is snagged and cut, the whole stitched length isn't compromised. That make it easier to restitch a repair. I use two 1/2" wide leather straps and whatever length I need to tie the legging up to where it attaches with the breachcloth belt ant on the breeches leg button. If I use a button rather than tying, I make that area of strap length 1" wide for a button hole. The button attach is one strap per legging side. I make the bottoms flared like boot jeans and even sew an added piece to protect the moc/shoe tops.
Elk leggings.jpg
IMG_0130.JPG

Back