• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for a Casting Newby?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read up on the scientific definition of vaporization. It's the phase change from liquid to gas, boiling is the colloquial term for the phase change. Using water as an example, the input of heat to ice, solid water, well cause the temperature to rise to the point when a phase change will occur, ie to liquid. To get to the next phase change, much more heat will be required till we reach 212F at STP (Standard, Temperature and Pressure at sea level). So water isn't transitioning till then. Similar thing with lead except the molecular bonds are stronger and lead is isotopically far, far heavier.

With basic science in mind, what you may see coming from the pot is from the impurities, not lead but still not healthy. In the vast majority of lead contamination cases, it's either through oral means (wash yer mits!) or inhalation in an indoor range. I personally know one firearms instructor who has to quit his job at an popular local indoor range for this very reason. Lead styphnate is a main ingredient in modern primers and it's residue is hard too avoid indoors.

So in casting, use good basic hygiene and safety techniques and you'll be fine. Lead vapor is not on the reality list.
Not arguing here, just trying to understand. Water, in liquid phase, exerts a vapor pressure -- continually evaporating liquid into gas unless the air has reached saturation due to humidity or temperature. It need not be boiled to change over to gas. At any point in time, some small percentage of those molecules will exceed the average temp, releasing water into the air. When the vapor pressure = the atmospheric pressure, that's when boiling occurs.

So, with lead in liquid phase hitting a vaporization temp at about 750 deg, isn't it giving off some small amount of lead vapor at this stage? What exactly is happening between that vaporization temp and lead's boiling point if it isn't lead vapors being released in some amount?

Not arguing here, just trying to understand. Water, in liquid phase, exerts a vapor pressure -- continually evaporating liquid into gas unless the air has reached saturation due to humidity or temperature. It need not be boiled to change over to gas. At any point in time, some small percentage of those molecules will exceed the average temp, releasing water into the air. When the vapor pressure = the atmospheric pressure, that's when boiling occurs.

So, with lead in liquid phase hitting a vaporization temp at about 750 deg, isn't it giving off some small amount of lead vapor at this stage? What exactly is happening between that vaporization temp and lead's boiling point if it isn't lead vapors being released in some amount?
The difference is water is a compound made of two very light elements, hydrogen and oxygen while lead is itself an element and a heavy one at that. The phase change example still holds although things happen at very different temperature points.

A lot of good information here I'll review when I start casting myself.
Well presented, too!
This thread is getting bookmarked. Thanks for those who contributed information on casting.

This is a little off topic but still casting related so I’ll post here. If I cast round balls for a smooth bore and patch them. Shouldn’t I be able to use any allow even range scrap without an issue?

This is a little off topic but still casting related so I’ll post here. If I cast round balls for a smooth bore and patch them. Shouldn’t I be able to use any allow even range scrap without an issue?
Yes. A ball is a ball is a ball. Provided they're the same weight.

Gather up all your scrap and melt everything down. Then cast all your balls from that mix.

Don't keep adding range scrap to your mix. The different alloys may cause your ball weights to be different.

I recently made the decision to start casting my own balls and minies. Looking for any and all advice to help a first timer get started.

I ordered a Lee 10lb lead melter and Lee molds for various roundballs and .575 minies. Aside from lead not even sure what other equipment I really need or don't need, there's so much out there.

Thanks in advance for the tips and tricks!
IMHO, don't spend any money on lead. Kinda defeats the purpose of molding your own. I use wheel weights. You have to be careful which ones you use. Use only this style in the pic and the stick on the rim type. They make excellent ammo. I use them for all my round ball and bullet casting to include my 9mm, 45 Colt, 38/357, 32-20, 33-55, 45-70, shotgun slugs and some of my gas checked weapons. Go to any chain garage and they should let you root through them, especially if you're getting an oil change. Semper Fi.

wheel weight.jpg

IMHO, don't spend any money on lead. Kinda defeats the purpose of molding your own. I use wheel weights. You have to be careful which ones you use. Use only this style in the pic and the stick on the rim type. They make excellent ammo. I use them for all my round ball and bullet casting to include my 9mm, 45 Colt, 38/357, 32-20, 33-55, 45-70, shotgun slugs and some of my gas checked weapons. Go to any chain garage and they should let you root through them, especially if you're getting an oil change. Semper Fi.

View attachment 189056
I have been picking up wheel weights when I find them in parking lots and such but I’ve been reading that wheel weights are not lead anymore. At least not mostly lead.

I have been picking up wheel weights when I find them in parking lots and such but I’ve been reading that wheel weights are not lead anymore. At least not mostly lead.
Find a place that works on old VWs and other old cars with pressed and welded wheels.

Wheel weight heaven.

Don't forget the donuts.

Wheel weighs are made of zinc now. Melting even one of these into your bullet lead alloy will ruin your day. Fortunately, zinc melts at a slightly higher temperature than lead, tin, and antimony. Keeping the temperature of your melt to a relatively low temperature will allow you to pick out any that might have been missed before. Don't turn the heat on high. There is no need for that, and could be a very bad thing to do.

Is this the thread where someone was talking about pot size?
I just upped my game and ordered a 20lb pot today. The more I looked at that 10lb, especially after sticking a thermometer in it, the more I said boy that's small.
It doesn't help that the guns I have been accumulating are increasing in caliber size...

Back