• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anybody take over Tip's business? Dan.

We're hoping Tippy (his son) takes over. I'll ride over to his shop this weekend and see.
I had wanted to pick up one of his Bean creations but, just never got one off the rack. I had asked him last year to build one for me, Tip built what he wanted and very seldom took orders, any one who received a custom order is very lucky. I,ll post a pic of my Lancaster when I can.

Attachments

• Tip Curtis.jpg
    Tip Curtis.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I am saddened to hear of Tip's passing
He was a treasure
Visiting his shop was always a joy
I am proud to say I own one of his riflesI
I don't own one, but in honor of his passing . . . I think it would be good to start a threat of pics of Tip Curtis' work. I always loved going to his booth at Friendship and looking at his rifles. He built great guns at a good price. . . filled a niche that leaves a big hole now. I sure there are many on this forum indebted to this craftsman who might like to share pics with us.
His spot at Friendship was usually the first stop I made after arrival the few times I got to go there, and enjoyed visiting with him and his wife.
I own two of his rifles, and had plans to get another.
I drove about 7 hours one way to look at some of his finished rifles around 7 years ago. Got to his place in the morning, and had the pleasure of a 2-hour one-on-one, uninterrupted conversation on many topics, not all gun-related.
Ended up being one of the high points in my life.
Not even counting the fact that I left there with the first of two rifles I bought from him. Still have them both.
He was simply an outstanding human being and craftsman as near as I could tell.
View attachment 36134View attachment 36135View attachment 36136View attachment 36137View attachment 36138

I spoke to Tippy a while back (after Tip's passing) about the fate of his Father's business. At that time no one was interested in stepping up and simply carrying on "The Frontier Shop". Tippy told me the family was planning to open Tip's building at the next upcoming NMLRA shoot and continue selling what was in the inventory. Of course, as we all know...the next two big NMLRA shoots had to be cancelled, so that never happened. I spoke to him after the announcement of the cancellation. They were not interested in selling completed rifles and kits, one at a time to individuals outside of the NMLRA shoots. I haven't spoken to him since and have no further updates. IF there is a Spring Shoot this June...perhaps we'll see Tip's building stocked and open for business.

I have a tip Curtis rifle in 50 cal I have never shot. These pics and post to drag it out of the gun safe and **** it. I will post pics of target and rifle after I finish.

I'm glad that @olskool has posted Tip's target, as I was just going to! Not that I didn't know it already, but when I had visited him and asked him about that target, all he would say - which is a mantra that I repeat to myself to this day - is front sight, front sight, front sight!

Here's my contribution, a LH'd 40-cal and the most spiraled/decorated nisecap I've ever seen!

BP, 40-cal LH IHaines Longrifle1.jpg

Back